Can I plug a keyboard into a line in on an audio interface?

ktmay2

Hi,
I just bought a new audio interface (Steinberg CI2) and there is no MIDI to plug keyboards into. I currently don't have a keyboard, but I was planning to buy one for music production. Is there any way of plugging a keyboard in then, if theres no MIDI?
I mean, what does a MIDI interface do, and also, do you know what keyboards have line out outputs so I could plug them into the line in?
Thanks so much,
Katie

Hi Katie,

Midi is not sound. It is information that triggers sound. They do make midi keyboard that can connect to your computer with usb. You will only be allowed to hear sounds from this keyboard while it is plugged into your computer triggering midi sounds. These are available for under $75.

Are you look to use your keyboard when it is not at a computer or just for use on the computer?

That's what the line in is for. Or you can go right into your computer, I believe, via midi or usb from your keyboard.

hi sockswithshoes,
with my interface i was going to record some guitar, then vocals, then percussion, then lastly, layer over some piano. So basically, just for computer use. On cubase I know you can apply different sounds to your keyboard, but can you only do that with a MIDI keyboard or also a USB keyboard? For instance, I might want to use a rock piano sound instead of a grand piano sound.
thanks!

thanks sockswithshoes.
just one last question:
will the m audio keyrig 49 do the same thing as the keystudio?
it seems to have the same features.
i think the keystudio is discontinued.

thanks!

thanks sockswithshoes.
just one last question:
will the m audio keyrig 49 do the same thing as the keystudio?
it seems to have the same features.
i think the keystudio is discontinued.

thanks!

Yup! anything that is usb/midi will do the job.

Korg makes one for their nano series that is like $50 bucks. Doesn't feel like a keyboard but it triggers the sounds.

Note - if you want to record the actual audio the keyboard makes, you can plug it's audio output (line out) into the line in of the interface. Note that if the keyboard does nto have a line out, you can use the headphone out, but turn the volume way down so you do not blow the input circuit using the line-in, which is for UNPOWERED signal.

What it is saying is, you can use usb to connect directly to your computer and use it with virtual instruments OR use midi to connect it to a sound module. You could do both but you do NOT have to.

thanks so much!
literally one last question :)
why are there MIDI ports on most audio interfaces then, if you can just plug it in via USB?
thanks!

thanks so much!
literally one last question :)
why are there MIDI ports on most audio interfaces then, if you can just plug it in via USB?
thanks!

So what would you do if you encountered a piece of equipment that doesn't have a MIDI connection via USB?

You can daisy chain multiple midi instruments with the connector / cables. Plus you might want multiple outputs one to make sound, one to record the events that trigger the sounds. Maybe even pipe it to another midi synthesis device to play two keyboards from one interface. That's what midi is, is the event notation of the music, not the sound itself. USB is just the midi controller equivalent, but not without it's flaws like latency. Depending on your computer / setup it could be close to half a second before you actually hear the sound you triggered.

Some keyboards are just controllers and have no sounds of their own. Like the keyrig 49 or 49e from M-Audio. So USB is the path, latency the rule of thumb. Some have onboard sounds which can record directly with the headphone out as long as you set it REALLY low, like 1 of 10 on the knob, or less. Without onboard sounds there will be latency. Event -> Processing -> Produced result. With onboard sound, you don't even need a computer to make the music. Although you'll likely use it for better sounds or custom sounds and/or effects.

thanks shadow_7
my bro has an old Roland D-10 synth keyboard - on the back there are two 1/4 outs labeled output. does that mean I can plug a dual 1/4 to 1/4 cable into the keyboard and then into the line in? thanks :)

Depends on WHAT it's outputting. Assuming line level you should be able to use a 1/4" cable. TRS? (tip-ring-sleeve) Or something funky? I'd test with some cheap speakers first just to verify what it's outputting. i.e. headphones or other things. Otherwise check the specs of the device.

http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/D-10_OM.pdf

Page 7 has the hardware ID image(s). Although I'm not sure how official that link is, directly from google, no manufacture navigation via website to ensure that it's the right one or most recent one.

Back