Can digital recordings be slowed down w/o changing the key?

StGeorge

:confused: I can't remember where or when I heard something like this, but can digital recordings be slowed down or sped up without changing the key?

ADAT tape would obviously not work that way, but I'm inquiring about actual digital recordings like on an Alesis ML9600 (which I own).

Any input is welcomed. Thanks :)

Have you ever used REX loops? You need a program called ReCycle from Propellerhead, load up the 'sample' you want to use, then it cleverly splits it into 'slices' so that when it's loaded into a DAW it works with the tempo you put it... almost like MIDI, but it sounds like audio.

I don't know if that made any sense, but in short - yes there is, but you need to turn it into a REX loop first - oh, and I hope you record to a click track OR have very good timing, otherwise you can have all sorts of problems...

:cool: Thanks for the info, Bennychico11 and Elton Bear.

Don't know if I want to go to all that trouble with Rex Loops. If I needed to do it for numerous songs, I'd probably invest in that technology. I'll probably record the digital track back to my ADAT XT and see if I can manipulate it a slower speed and then record it back to my Alesis ML9600.

The Rex Loops scenario sounds like a future possibility although. Thanks again for the info. ;)

my DAW, i can change the tempo of a song and then adjust the pitch/tone to match the tempo, whether its slow or fast. But i agree with Bennychico..... once you alter to drastically, it does start to sound a bit wierd

Back