Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Buying A PA System (UPDATE!!!)

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad

I may just get both and test them. I hope to finish my list soon so I can give the last updates.

Thanks
    I need a stereo system for my keyboards (synths) and have decided on powered speakers. That way, I can export each side from my mixer into right and left speaker and both have their individual power systems. I've been trying to decide on which system to get, and found this comparison of three different powered speakers on youtube. I can't decide for myself which would be best, even after listening to this comparison.

Price is also a factor for me, as I need power, 15 inch speakers, because of the frequencies in the synth sounds, and good frequency response. Since the OP is looking for a PA, I personally think powered speakers is the way to go. It's one less box to carry around and with two separate powered systems, if one quits, you still have mono, while getting the sick one fixed.

Music ~ the International Language

Thanks
    Here is the update that I'm going with I believe..

Mixer. Budget $300.
    Microphones. Budget $100 per MIC.
    Speakers. Budget $700.
    Keyboard. Budget $1,000.

Then all the accessories of course. At the end I'm going to be $3K into all of this, but should be set and future proofed for quite some time.

I think going with the enCore 300 or SM58 I will be good, but with the YT reviews I think the 300's are better, not that I'd lose buying the SM58's. Worse comes to worse I can buy both and return the one that doesn't work well. If you think you can do better with the budget I listed please link.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Broth3rz View Post
    Here is the update that I'm going with I believe..

Mixer. Budget $300.
    Microphones. Budget $100 per MIC.
    Speakers. Budget $700.
    Keyboard. Budget $1,000.

Then all the accessories of course. At the end I'm going to be $3K into all of this, but should be set and future proofed for quite some time.

I think going with the enCore 300 or SM58 I will be good, but with the YT reviews I think the 300's are better, not that I'd lose buying the SM58's. Worse comes to worse I can buy both and return the one that doesn't work well. If you think you can do better with the budget I listed please link.
    Regarding the keyboard, are you aware it is a 'controller' and has no sounds of its own. It needs to be connected to a computer to play 'virtual' instruments or to a sound module that has MIDI connections.

The mics will likely be OK, although myself I think I would have gone for dynamic mics. Blue is a good name and has been around for a while with studio recording mics.
    Good reviews here...
    Blue Microphones enCORE 300 Black - Handheld Condenser Microphone | Sweetwater

Mixer and PA will do well for you.
    Mark.......

Thanks
    I will most likely buy East West and plus I get some sounds from NI when I buy the keyboard. I will use my laptop.

The 300 sounds more warm and is just as good build quality, its hard to hear a difference. IF you look at any of the reviews for them, everyone is saying its better then the SM58, its the new legend MIC, etc. Just seems to be a great MIC. not sure why they are $200 each but can buy a pair for $200.

I don't think I can find a better mixer for $300?

Thanks
    Maybe some others would know better than myself, but you're going to need to get the keyboard sounds from the laptop into the mixer. I don't know if the line/headphone out on the laptop would be the best way to go about it or if a USB audio interface would be more suitable. All I've ever had were keyboards/synths that had their own sounds which went straight to a mixer.
    Mark.......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaxis View Post
    Maybe some others would know better than myself, but you're going to need to get the keyboard sounds from the laptop into the mixer. I don't know if the line/headphone out on the laptop would be the best way to go about it or if a USB audio interface would be more suitable. All I've ever had were keyboards/synths that had their own sounds which went straight to a mixer.
    Yeah, I'm not sure what the best method is for this now that you mention it.. hmm..

Thanks
    Seems like an awful lot of money just for a controller. You can get a full on keyboard for the same amount or less and it will have all the midi controller functions to still run East West and other VSTi's.

Also, I'm curious if anyone ever really needs 88 keys.

But, you know, to each his own.

Edit: About the laptop to mixer thing. Without looking at the specs for your mixer, I bet it has a stereo line-in channel. You should be able to go from the headphone/line-out on your laptop to the line-in channel on your mixer. Use the 3.5mm to stereo 1/4" cable adaptor.

Something like this
    Amazon.com: Hosa CMP-159 3.5 mm TRS to Dual 1/4" TS Stereo Breakout Cable, 10 Feet: Gateway

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    Seems like an awful lot of money just for a controller. You can get a full on keyboard for the same amount or less and it will have all the midi controller functions to still run East West and other VSTi's.

Also, I'm curious if anyone ever really needs 88 keys.

But, you know, to each his own.
    And a full keyboard with sounds will likely be good to have if the laptop takes a time out for some reason.

Been a long while since I've looked at keyboards, but 88 keys (if really needed) and weighted action keys, I'd probably head to the music store and look at this for about the same money....
    Korg Kross 2 88-key Synthesizer Workstation | Sweetwater
    Mark.......

Thanks
    I will use it for my personal use also which I will be doing composing, so that's the other reason I wanted to buy it. I do have a Yamaha YPG-625, but its so big, bulky, and heavy, etc.

So my choices seem good enough to buy?

Thread Information