Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying A PA System (UPDATE!!!)

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I've owned several pa systems. mostly stand alone pa heads with built in effects , and the power to run passive speakers. My biggest regret with all of them were the 12" speakers. The 15" speakers made a real big difference for me. Granted , church auditoriums normally have decent acoustics and 12s would do fine but at some point you might want to play different places. Outdoor performances etc... The 15's are better suited. You can also find some pretty cheap , used complete pa systems. I've even given them away. As suggested above , you could rent a system until you find what you really want. mark

Thanks
    Touched on lightly by others: Don't forget cables and stands.

Thanks
    I have rather a lot of 12" passive plastic boxes, and just two 15" ones, and while they go a bit lower, they often seem to have a little gap between the hF and LF drivers that make them a little muddy sounding. I bought EV SX300's and then later the unbranded very similar foreign ones and they all sound quite similar.

Thanks
    So I went ahead and returned the 3 AT2020's in place of the 3 Shure SM58's.

What mixer would be best for this? The budget on mixer is $300. Should I go with the Mackie 1202VLZ4 or the Mackie ProFX8v2? I did want the reverb and other effects so I'm not sure what would be best. I want something that will last. Whats the hardware called to connect to a mixer that has effects?

I'm trying to look for powered speakers now, I'm not sure what size I would really need and what size I'd wanna actually get to future proof some.

Thanks
    It's not a HUGE event, like 50 people in a church sanctuary
    - At a guess, what are the dimensions of the church sanctuary (feet or meters).
    - Are you in the US or elsewhere? It may help to know if suggestions are made for gear.
    Mark.......

Thanks
    I just want to comment that I'm somewhat surprised this thread has had almost 3,000 views in one day.

I wouldn't think that buying a PA was such a hot topic for so many...but then, the "1W --> 5W" thread here has had 10,000 views in one week...though the winner has to be "Mic doesn't fit mic stand" thread, with over 14,000 views in one week.

Kinda all pretty surprising...the things that interest home rec people the most.
    I'm guessing there must be some web bot stuff going on to generate that many views so quickly.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Broth3rz View Post
    So I went ahead and returned the 3 AT2020's in place of the 3 Shure SM58's.
    Good move

What mixer would be best for this? The budget on mixer is $300. Should I go with the Mackie 1202VLZ4 or the Mackie ProFX8v2? I did want the reverb and other effects so I'm not sure what would be best.
    Go for the ProFX . . . it has reverb and other effects built in, as well as a little graphic EQ.

I want something that will last.
    With the budget you have, you are constrained to entry-level equipment. It's cheap because it's made cheaply, and that has implications. However, it should last a while if you keep the dust out of it and don't throw it around.

Whats the hardware called to connect to a mixer that has effects?
    They are effects units or reverb units. Here is an example of one:

TC Electronic M100 Stereo Multi-Effects Processor w/ Legendary TC Reverbs & Effects | Reverb / Effects - Store DJ

I'm trying to look for powered speakers now, I'm not sure what size I would really need and what size I'd wanna actually get to future proof some.
    If you are on a limited budget, that constrains your choices. If you wanted to future proof you might consider EV, QSC, and similar, but they are likely to be out of your price range. The more affordable Alto, Behringer and similar will do the job in the short term, and they can be put to other uses (e.g. foldback) if you eventually can afford better ones. Don't go less than 12", but aim for 15" if you can find them.

Thanks
    So I will return the 3 2020's and get 3 SM58s.

Why did you chose the Mackie ProFX8v2? Since it has the effects on it? Other then that is it any better then the 1202?
    What would the external reverb device be called to plug into a mixer anyways?

I need this in 1 month from now. So I really just need to get the speakers chosen and I guess I'm set apart from accessories. Then I can post my entire setup, which I can go to $1,100 if really needed.

I want and need to use all my OWN gear so I'm no liable if anything breaks. Plus I don't wanna have to rely on people for this.
    Where are you located? Near a Guitar Center or Sam Ash?
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Consensus..PA speakers.. would a pair of these work OK for the OP Jbl EON610 10" Two-Way Stage Monitor | AltoMusic.com ? Or 10" maybe undersized?

Alto's eBay site shows two left.... JBL EON610 10" Two-Way Stage Monitor | eBay

EON610 Products | JBL Professional
    Mark.......

Thanks
    Without looking at the specs, 10" should work fine as long as he is not cranking a lot of low end (bass, keys) through them. But I often have doubts on 'manufacturer refurbished'.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thread Information