• Rode NT-1

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • AKG C214

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Audio Technica AT2050

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Veselin Koev

Hi, I'm interested in buying a microphone and I have stopped on three - Rode NT-1, AKG C214 and Audio Technica AT2050. Which one of the three is best for home studio recording of vocals, guitars and practically anything (my point is I want to record different sounds to implement in my tracks). Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 51yqVirFk7L._SL1000_.jpg
    51yqVirFk7L._SL1000_.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 7081673_800.jpg
    7081673_800.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 7
  • psVVTZg7l6vmGcxmU1836PpB-A6uEvywpq5aBAOAeYc.jpg.6c2770a4cc-f1608x1608.jpg
    psVVTZg7l6vmGcxmU1836PpB-A6uEvywpq5aBAOAeYc.jpg.6c2770a4cc-f1608x1608.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 7
First, I think all three of the mics are good. But, like everything in music, it is subjective. I have the 2A version of the Rhodes.

I like it, a little harsh on the high end, but overall it is my main mic. Very versatile as I use it on vocals, acoustic guitar. The 2A was purchased because of the different settings for more work. But I am pretty sure the basics are the same as the NT1.

I've not used the other two, so can't comment on them. I know mics are pretty hard to purchase because you really don't know if you like them until after you have used them for awhile.

The topic of "best" comes up so often here, but it's really not something that's possible to define when comparing microphones in such a general usage like we usually have to do in our home recording scenarios.

You can pick apart features, specs and response curves and anything else, but until you put the mic on a stand in your environment and record your guitar, voice, or hurdy-gurdy, whatever, and do the same thing with every possible mic, you won't know what is "best" - and then that will be determined by your ears, which, with all due respect, may not be the best. (I know mine aren't!)

These are all good mics. I've heard good things about the NT-1, and am not familiar with the AT, but I am a fan of their stuff, in general (have 2 SDCs). I own the C214, and for probably 5 years it was my only LDC. Still my primary mic for acoustic guitar, but for my voice I've got the Miktek mk300 (not on your list) on the stand. It just makes my life easier, and I feel like it's a bit smoother for male vocals in general, but I haven't had any female singers use it yet.

And, in the end, as has been pointed out before, good mics can usually return good results on any source, but what it comes down to is how much work is entailed getting those results, and some mics just work better (i.e., making mixing easier) than others on different sources. I can't say whether any of these would work better for you than the other. They might all be exactly the same, or you might think the C214 is horrible on your acoustic guitar tracks. You pays your money; you takes your chances...

There is no best. You can listen to the mic shootout that Sweetwater has on their site and see which you prefer. But there is no best.

Lets start by saying I don't own any of the maics listed.

The black NT1 has a smoother top end and not as harsh then the silver NT1A apparently. The AKG 214 is also a very good mic, I don't however have one but I do have an original C4000B which apparently sounds very similar to a AKG414. The C4000B sounds good on my voice but not many other voices, it is a great mic for acoustic guitars and bass cabs. The AT2050 will also sound very good, again have not got one but I do like the AT mics I do have.

So its up to the personal choice. Whats the price difference? I would tend to go to the NT1, but I am a bit biased as I own 5 different Rode mics and like them all.

Good to see it's narrowed down to 3, please posters lets not add more to the list and confuse the OP even more LOL.

Alan.

If it was me, I’d go with the Rode NT1 (not the NT1A). It sounds good on a lot of sources, vocals acoustic guitar, smoother top end than the NT1A. It’s a very quite mic low self noise. A good choice for all around mic. All 3 mics are very good mics though. I just think the 1” capsule and mid-range of the NT1 is well suited for vocals.

Assume you have an acceptable audio interface, closed back headphones (for tracking), monitors and some acoustic treatment in your tracking room? In an untreated room ANY condensor mic is going to pick up more of the 'room sound', which is great if its a great-sounding room, which most of us home recorders don't have.

Try the Audio Technica 2010, a cardioid condenser for about 120 bucks. A very versatile, good mic. Cheap enough to pick up one or two (down the road), in addition to one of the mics listed.

Back