Buy a spare!!

ecc83

Just had an adspam from Amazon. Stagg 1mr XLR mic cable £2.75 (be $2.00 Stateside oi bet)

Now...SO MANY newb queries come here and part of the diagnosis is "try another cable". The great thing about XLR mic cables is, they are almost infinitely extendable! There is also no electrical noise or other downside to a collection of cables 100 or more mtrs long.

So you noobs, buy TWO fekking mic cables. Ideally two of the same length 3mtrs is handy for "domestic" use but if you are REALLY strapped one at 3mtrs and a spare 1mtr jobbie! If £2.75 breaks your budget you are in the wrong hobby!

Not bought a beer in a pub in a long time but I bet that only just gets you a pint?

Dave.

Yep - totally amazed that people faff around with only the absolute essentials. how many guitarists only buy one cable, or one pick, or no spare strings? How many sax players only have a single reed and post on forums about why their sax is squealing. Whichever mic cable you buy, it will always be too short. People order ONE thread adaptor from Amazon, and lose it. Yet they buy the wrong cables and use stacks of adaptors to make them do what they were not meant to! then they post "I have got a hum, help" I sometimes think people just expect instant help, with no clues, without being remotely clever enough to even explain in English what the problem really is. we live in a weird world. people spend money cluelessly, and give up so easily, and then expect people to help when they haven't even got anything they can swap.

They also expect hobbies to be cheap. I'm just opening a box of Neutrik XLRs and mic cable. It cost me a fair bit. To do the job, you need the kit!

Yeah it's definitely a good idea to have multiples and backups (but not lose them). I get it when people balk at costs, but you're both right that hobbies (for good or for ill) cost money. The point is that it's worth it for something that you love and that makes you happy. I also like your point about the cost of a beer - drives me nuts when people who spend lots of money on very quickly consumed things (like drinks) bitch at me for spending money on things that will last a long time, I'll use over and over again, and facilitate my passions.

A beer at a pub around here costs more than that cable ^^^ :rolleyes:

How many times at a gig have you had a cable crap out on you? Its happened to me - XLR and instrument cables. Always carry a spare.

Back