Budget recording, but I mean REALLY budget

stijnjasper

Hey guys, I'm Stijn from the Netherlands :D and I've just bought a new guitar yesterday (yeeeey) a taylor 214CE Grand Auditorium. Now, I would love to record it to my computer in a simple way, but there doesn't seem to be a simple way.

I have been looking around the internet (including this forum) and they all seem to advise to buy monitor stuff, and a new sound card, internal or external. etc. etc.

Now, to be perfectly honest. The only thing I want to do, is record some multitrack covers. With vocals (Samson C01U), Guitar, and Piano. I bought Adobe Audition a while back to use with my budget condenser microphone and I sounds pretty cool. But what do you guys advise me?

Cheers from the Netherlands!

Newb here too but, I'll throw my $.02 in.......

If I'm not mistaken, the mic is USB. Not all that desirable for recording purposes. If that all you've got then you'll have to work with it but definitely consider replacing it.

You'd do well to buy an interface. Don't discount buying used. I just picked up a used M-Audio Fast Track II for $35 US. Basic but it works. It'll handle your vocals and instruments and provides phantom power for condensor mics. You can go from there. Others will recommend other models and manufacturers that provide different functions and features but in the end, it's up to you how much you want to invest. They all accomplish the same thing.

The same goes for monitors. Nobody says you need high end gear out of the gate to start recording, and buying used can be a great bargain on a budget.

Not familiar with Adobe Audition but, they have their own section here and you can probably get help there if you need it. There's a lot of love for Reaper and Audacity around here and there are several of us that use Mixcraft 5 by Acoutica. Very "Garage Band" like and there's a 14 day trial available.

Take your time and look around. It shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg to get started.

In all, utilizing the gear I've accumulated over the years (mics, stands, cables, etc.....) and converting dusty, unused gear into cash, I bought the interface mentioned above, a used M-Audio AV40 monitors and a registered copy of Mixcraft 5 for less than $200 US. Definitely a beginner setup but then I'm a beginner.

Used you can get all kinds of stuff for cheap.

You'll probably want an interface, one with one preamp input (Maudio fast track, firewire solo). That's really all you'll need if you have a microphone.

I don't know what really cheap budget is, but for under $200 you can get all you'll need if you already have a computer with speakers, and some sort of software to record into.

....oh and I forgot one more thing.....using gift cards from Guitar Center, I picked up an M-Audio KeyRig 49 MIDI keyboard. A great addition. So in total, I've spent about $250 so far. That's a pretty "budget" studio IMO!!!! :)

I've got a lot to learn before I start "upgrading" any equipment! :confused:

Mic, interface, headphones. 'Budget' is a relative term and you will soon find you want more ... and more ... and more ...
G.A.S. = Gear Acquisition Syndrme!

.... there doesn't seem to be a simple way.

Sound is sound is sound.
What costs a few hundred now cost several million just a decade or so ago.
This IS the simple way....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My obligatory standard reply-for-newbies that I keep in Wordpad so this is just a paste (I don't want to re-type this all the time):
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First off, immediately get a good beginner recording book (spend $20 before spending hundred$/thousand$) that shows you what you need to get started and how to hook everything up in your studio:
Home Recording for Musicians by Jeff Strong - $15
Amazon.com: Home Recording For Musicians For Dummies (9780470385425): Jeff Strong: Books
(Wish I'd had that when I started; would have saved me lots of money and time and grief)
You can also pick up this book in most any Borders or Barnes&Noble in the Music Books section!

Another good one is: Recording Guitar and Bass by Huw Price
Amazon.com: Recording Guitar and Bass: Getting a Great Sound Every Time You Record (9780879307301): Huw Price: Books
(I got my copy at a place called Half-Price Books for $6!!)

And you can get a FREE subscription to TapeOp magazine at Tape Op Magazine

Barnes&Noble or Borders are great places to start --- they have recording books and you can go get a snack or coffee and read them for FREE! Don't pass by a good recording book --- this is a VERY technical hobby and you REALLY want to start a reference library!!!

Good Newbie guides that also explains all the basics and have good tips:
Tweak's Guide to the Home and Project Studio
Free beginner PDFs | Computer Music | MusicRadar.com
The #1 online community for musicians | Harmony Central
Tips & Techniques - Gearslutz.com

21 Ways To Assemble a Recording Rig: How to Configure a Recording Studio Rig

Also Good Info: Directory - The Project Studio Handbook - Digital Audio, Compression, Mixing, Monitoring, Microphones

Other recording books: Music Books Plus - Home Recording

Still using a built-in soundcard?? Unfortunately, those are made with less than $1 worth of chips for beeps, boops and light gaming (not to mention cheapness for the manufacturer) and NOT quality music production. Even the cheapest $50 usb asio card will be a huge improvement.
#1 Rule of Recording: You MUST replace the built-in soundcard.
Here's a good guide and user-tested suggestions that work: The Best Audio Interfaces for your Home Studio by TweakHeadz Lab
(you'll want to bookmark and read through all of Tweak's Guide while you're there...)
Another good article: Choosing an audio interface - Choosing An Audio Interface

Plenty of software around to record for FREE to start out on:

Sony ACID Express (free 10-track sequencer): ACIDplanet.com: Free Downloads: ACID Xpress
Audacity: Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder (multi-track with VST support)
Wavosaur: Wavosaur free audio editor with VST and ASIO support (a stereo audio file editor with VST support)\
Kristal: KRISTAL Audio Engine
Other freebies and shareware: Music Software - Computer Music Resources - Shareware Music Machine

Another great option is REAPER at REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits (It's $50 but runs for free until you get guilty enough to pay for it...)
I use Reaper and highly reccomend it...

Music Notation and MIDI recording: Melody Assistant ($25) and Harmony Assistant ($80) have the power of $600 notation packages - Myriad: Music Notation Software and much more... / Myriad : logiciels de musique, et bien plus...
Demo you can try on the website.

And you can go out to any Barnes&Noble or Borders and pick up "Computer Music" magazine - they have a full FREE studio suite in every issue's DVD, including sequencers, plugins and tons of audio samples. (November 2006 they gave away a full copy of SamplitudeV8SE worth $150, November 2007-on the racks Dec in the US- they gave away SamplitudeV9SE and July 2009 issue they put out Samplitude10SE, November 2010 SamplitudeSilver. FREE. It pays to watch 'em for giveaways...)

'Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll eat forever...'

At a low end level, I can get better results with a cheaper acoustic guitar and a more expensive signal chain, than vice versa...

Suggest if you just laid out $1000 or whatever for a new guitar, you should find some more money and get a decent interface and microphones...

The reason there's all that cheap stuff on eBay? People get rid of it because it's cheap... save yourself some angst and at least aim to land on the second step of the ladder....

When you say piano, do you mean keyboard or acoustic piano, just was wondering if it had a midi connection?

Reason why I ask is, if there is a midi in/out, your cheapest option would be to use a soft synth piano, and then mic your acoustic guitar with the CO1U. probably aimed around the 12 fret.

This way you could track in the piano, add guitar, then maybe vocal. Cheap easy, yet not great on sound quality.

Now this is just a starter block and will surely give you GAS. As it will present you with lots of limitations. One that I experienced when started was mixing the live guitar sound through a usb mic, and the clean digital sound of the midi keyboard. When you don't have a great source mic to record on this makes it so much harder. However it will virtually get you started for nothing.

Spend more or settle for less. Its all down to you :)

Woa guys! I didn't expect all those positive replies! So, I know there is a shop around here which sells second hand electronics, also some mixers I believe. I think I could go there and write down the brand and number and get your opinion about it.

I guess I am going to buy one or two 'budget' condenser microphones (not usb this time) with a tripod or something. The piano I use is an acoustic one, so I have to place a mic next to it but the sound of it is unbelievable (thanks dad xD).

The 1K I've spent on the guitar is not because I think that's best for recording. I just practically take my guitar everywhere and play a few ours every day. It leaves some extra room to 'grow into it'. The MIDI keyboard would be great for if I'm moving out in two months but I think I have to start with the mics, monitor, mixer and guitar first.

And erhmmm.. If I buy the proper mixer. Can I hook up my guitar through the amp cable?

I'd like to make covers which look a little bit like this (but only more in my style etc.) Search youtube:

* Sensitivity" - Alex Goot (ft. Andrew Goldstein of The Friday Night Boys) or to begin with, search this:
* Live at Rolling Stone: Jason Mraz Performs Butterfly

ps: I'm now walking to the bookstore to buy the home recording for dummies book, haha.

Edit: I wen't to the used products store today, check this out:
5857754258_f4caedfbdd_b.jpg

5857754726_bdfee3771f_b.jpg

5857202515_4fb715b3f3_b.jpg

5857203359_2fd353fef2_b.jpg

5857203821_7c67d762e1_b.jpg

But it seems they are almost all DJ mixers :(

Last edited:
You don't need to buy two mics right away. If you can, get yourself an interface and one mic. That'll go a long way in getting you started.

IMHO, at this point, use of a mixer will only make things more confusing for you. If you really want to keep it simple, go the interface route and pick up a decent mic and things won't be nearly as confusing for you.

From my newbie standpoint, that's my $.02!

the behringer c-1 microphone is excellent. get that and then get the cheapest mixer or interface you can. i got by for years with just a little behringer mixer into the line in on my pc. you could do that and it would be fine.

the behringer c-1 microphone is excellent. get that and then get the cheapest mixer or interface you can. i got by for years with just a little behringer mixer into the line in on my pc. you could do that and it would be fine.
I'm sure he figured it out 2 years ago, if he didn't, then he's got bigger problems. :)

Back