Brand spankin' Newbie

FstEddie

I need to get some help from hooking up me Uphoria UMC22 To my mixer and how to start recording. I have drum machine. Vocals and guitar running thru my mixer. XLR from mixer to interface to lenovo flex5 with cool pro 2.1. Please help
Thx
FstEddie

What mixer do you have? What's the drum machine and does it have mono or stereo output that you want to use?

I assume you plan to record one track at a time? E.g., drums, then guitar, then vocals? Then mix?

It sounds like you need to take the main out (only one) of the mixer to the LINE in (XLR combo jack). You will only have mono tracking because the UMC22 only has a single LINE input, so maybe not ideal, but that's what you have.

(NB. I have not tried this and if you fry something, you're on your own!) You could try to split LR mains from the mixer with one going to the INST input, but you'd want to pull the master fader way down on that output (assuming you have separate LR faders). Then you could pan something like a stereo drum machine output hard LR in the mixer and record on 2 tracks at once in your DAW (Cool Edit Pro?). But, honestly, I'm kind of guessing.

The UMC22 is probably not the best choice of interface, given its limited inputs.

The UMC202 would have been a better choice.

But your basic set up is sound. You can hook up drum machine, mike and guitar to mixer, then take one of the main line outs into the UMC22, and from there by USN into the Lenova.

For your playback, you will need to connect speakers or headphones to the UMC22.

You will need to go ito Cool Edit and set its recording and playback device to be the UMC22. Likewise for the Lenova's general sound settings. Note that CE 2.1 is pretty old, and you will probably find newer DAWs to be more durable.

With this set up, you are face with some limitations:

1 You can only record one track at a time (unless you use the work around suggested by Keith ^^), which means your drums will be just mono.

2 Or, you can record drums, vocals and drums all at the same time, but they will all appear on the one mono track.

Kieth is correct, you can run XLR to TRS cables from the mixer to the line (1) input of the 22 and its Instr input. You will need to keep the mixer's Main Out level well down to avoid clipping the Instr input. We are not told the make and model of the mixer but almost all are capable of an output of +20dBu, about 7 volts of signal, way more than most line and Instr inputs on AIs can cope with. If the mixer has the usual LED meter array you will need to keep that blipping at around -20dB with peaks no higher than '0'. In your DAW you want to aim for an average level of -20dBfs* peaks to -8 or so.

I sent the cables and an AI to my son in France to do precisely this task but I sent a UMC204 HD, a much more versatile version of the UMC series. He was feeding it from a Soundcraft 8FX mixer.

At some point you should be able to send the output of the Berry back to the mixer (prob RCA "Tape/CD" ins) and monitor the whole shooting match from the mixer..but leaves us K.I.S.Sir for now?

* means "Full Scale" and is how internal levels are represented in a DAW. I do not apologize for chucking in the odd "dB" number since these are matters you need to get familiar with PDQ.

BTW. Does the drum machine have MIDI ports? If so and if Cool Edit 'does' MIDI you definitely have the wrong interface.

Dave.

Back