bounces

chees-its

this is a question in regards to bounces...i wonder why when i bounce my songs made in logic pro to mp3 and then listen to them in itunes they sound so much different than they do when i simply play back my song from logic...i mean i guess i'm wondering is there any shortcut or just other way to have a better idea of what a mp3 will sound like without having to constantly bounce and re-mix over and over...why can't there be a way to do this from within logic :D

Try getting the best possible mix you can within Logic, then bouce down to a WAV file.

Then convert this WAV file to an MP3.

convert to WAV and then convert to mp3 ? i was just going straight to mp3 how is it better to use WAV...that kinda just gives me another step to go thorugh every time i bounce :P :confused:

Considering that a typical MP3 is absolute crap compared to PCM data (such as .wav or .aiff), I think the difference should be pretty clear... Especially if you're going ultra-lossy like 128-192kbps.

I'm still waiting for those slackers at Apple to make the iPoDAW (trademark on name 2009 Armistice P/L).... save us all this trouble... mind you, the volume sliders on the mixer section would have to be teensy... :D

thx gecko ! my mix is starting to come together much nicer already, however i have noticed further that when i have a 128 kbs song in itunes ( which i converted from WAV to mp3 in itunes ) and upload it to a website ( still at 128 kbs ) is sounds like shit again... just when i thought i was getting some steam...
armistice ur gonna make me google aren't you?

Last edited:
Maybe you missed it -- 128kbps is crap - Ultra-crap. Around *one tenth* of the information that would make up the PCM data it was made from.

256kbps starts to sound reasonable. A good 320 can actually sound very good (*if* it's done with the right converter).

But to expect anything more than a decent resemblance from 128kbps is expecting too much.

And if you upload it to most "free pub" sites (like MySpace), it gets compressed even further.

ok forgive me ...if i convert to wav ( i noticed sounds awesome compared to my mp3 bounces ) and convert to mp3 after is there any MAJOR benefit to my mp3 over just converting right to mp3 from logic ( assuming the end mp3 is going to be at 128 kbs ) i was sort of trying to see if i could notice any change but my ears are quite numb from mixing this damn song !! so once again forgive this question

Good sounding MP3 is like saying Microsoft Works. If you want a good bounce, make it a WAV then let Itunes convert it for you if you want a MP3

ok then, thanks, i shall now make WAV a routine part of my bounce process :D

....new question :p... what type of "dithering" do yall prefer to use for your bounces?

Going from your daw mix to an mp3 is like going on one of those slim fast and walnut diets for 30 days...

Its a quick way to shed bulk to become small and trendy, but in the process you loose alot of the good nutrients while thinking youve done yourself a quick favor. Leaving behind a bunch of bad stuff. {which really is the opposite of what most people go on those kind of diets are trying to acheive, my Doctor told me so when i tossed the idea around, but also ins't the point of my post so...}

I agree with the export to wav, then convert to high quality mp3.

Last edited:
As well as all the good advice you've recieved in this thread, I just want to throw out another, simpler, possibility about your initial problem. Make sure your Itunes EQ isn't on. That might be the reason it sounds way different in the player.

Back