Bought a house, any advice on setting up my new studio/jam space?

rockironwebb

senior newbie caveman
Just bought a house. Will be moving in mid-december. Any advice on setting things up?
Drumset, 2 guitar amps, and a bass amp. It is in the lower level of a tri level house. Linoleum floor, drywall on interior wall and ceiling, cinder block on two exterior walls. Windows on exterior walls. Just wondering if there are acoustic strategies I should keep in mind before hauling all of my shit in and setting it up. I intend to build some acoustic panels/bass traps down the road. It will be used as my band rehearsal space as well as for my little solo drum/PC based recording projects. It is the larger room in the layout.

Attachments

• Willow lower level.jpg
    Willow lower level.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 50
sweet - nice big space. I would center the mixing desk at the top facing the window a few feet back from the wall, put bass traps in those corners.

"just bought a house" - general experience is you are going to have your hands full for a long time and you will not have much time for playing/recording!

I figure I will not be playing too much for a while. I'm a student and will be moving at the beginning of semester break, so I'll have about five weeks to try and at least get the basics set up.

Blimey ! How different the students are from the ones here. In the States you're buying houses. In England they face debt for the next 29 years !
Rock on, Tommy !

I am lucky enough to be married to a great girl who has already got her Masters degree. She is already into her career, while I'm slaving at a pizza joint and going to school full time. If I hadn't met her, I still be living in my shithole, 12x20 basement apartment with zero music gear.

I suggest you read a lot here before you start to build...https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/studio-building-display/

Dig deep for the many great threads in that forum. Worth the time and read...lots of ideas to consider(especially if you decide to add more later).. could save mistakes, extra work and money down the road.

Reading in Recording techniques is a plus too before building..learning what gear best records what and how to place it in what type of room can be a plus too.

Actually, going thru all the forums and reading threads pertinate to your needs is a good idea..time consuming but good.

Just my two cents worth.

I am lucky enough to be married to a great girl who has already got her Masters degree. She is already into her career, while I'm slaving at a pizza joint and going to school full time. If I hadn't met her, I still be living in my shithole, 12x20 basement apartment with zero music gear.

haha now that's the way to do it!

Hey, I notice you've got a closet on the plan... you could totly convert it into a vocal booth... :laughings:

Kidding folks, just kidding...

Good luck there - being a kept man is awesome.... wish I could find someone to do it for me! :)

Back