Books (highly recommended/ very informative)

R

rimisrandma

Sometimes it is good to sit down and go through the learning paces using a book. I sat down and read, page for page, each of these books. Some were recommended on this forum, other forums, or I found through research. Each of these are worthwhile to read and present a lot of information, concepts, and gives a bigger in depth understanding of recording, audio, and related topics. I read a few more than this list entails, but I did not list them because they really do not belong on the list. Feel free to list others that would sit comfortably in an audio reference collection.

http://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Hom...4464/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1324497279&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Aud...8371/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324497653&sr=8-1

Amazon.com: Mixing Audio, Second Edition: Concepts, Practices and Tools (9780240522227): Roey Izhaki: Books

http://www.amazon.com/Recording-Bud...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324497712&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reinfor...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324498178&sr=1-1

This is a DVD;

Amazon.com: The Art of Mixing: A Visual Guide to Recording, Engineering and Production: David Gibson: Movies & TV

Last edited:
AYEJUSSEDJAKTOPH
I'm certain this knowledge will dissuade the Iranians from building a nuclear bomb.
Sometimes it is good to sit down and go through the learning paces using a book.
For those of us who were around before the internet age, it was actually one of the only ways to garner any kind of recording knowledge unless you knew someone that was into recording ~ and could understand what the hell they were talking about. It seems weird to reflect that reading an interview or looking at a catalogue would often net you that precious sentence that sparked off a train of thought that eventually yielded dividends or somehow helped you in your quest.

Both of the "Behind the glass" books are excellent.
The "Mixing audio" by Roey Izhaki was one I bought a year or so ago and the first 90 pages were good. Then the next 15 or so were just hard work and I barely understood a word the man was talking about so I put it down and read Ian McLagan and John Major's autobiographies. But, after reading this thread last night or this morning, I thought I'd give Roey another chance. From about page 95 was still hard work but I got through it and now it's interesting again.

For those of us who were around before the internet age, it was actually one of the only ways to garner any kind of recording knowledge unless you knew someone that was into recording ~ and could understand what the hell they were talking about. It seems weird to reflect that reading an interview or looking at a catalogue would often net you that precious sentence that sparked off a train of thought that eventually yielded dividends or somehow helped you in your quest.

Yes this was always a challenge way back then Grim -- A lot of experimentation sure went on. Recording almost had a mad scientist feel to it, not knowing what you were to end up with in the end till you got to the finished project.

As always my bibles when I started out and to this day my reference manuals;
Home Recording for Musicians for Dummies,
Modern Recording Techniques, 6th Edition

And to refresh and keep up to date;
EVERY MONTHS issues of Sounds on Sound
and EVERY MONTHS issues of Music Tech

Recording almost had a mad scientist feel to it, not knowing what you were to end up with in the end till you got to the finished project.
I still never know precisely what I'm going to end up with ! Things still change along the way because as one thing gets done, ideas fly in from nowhere.
This is the mad scientist affliction of "mixed brain dominance" ! :D

I still never know precisely what I'm going to end up with ! Things still change along the way because as one thing gets done, ideas fly in from nowhere.
This is the mad scientist affliction of "mixed brain dominance" ! :D

:D Left Right Left Right Left Right Left Right -- one of these day one of them are going to win.

Acoustics and the Performance of Music is a great book (I have both the 1st edition and the latest 5th edition) and includes diagrams of how musical instruments radiate at different frequencies - a "must have" if you are recording and want to place microphones on musical instruments - highly recommended.

51GBnO-DdsL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Mixing Audio - think I have read that one three times by now - love it!
Other gems that I prefer would be Mixing Secrets, Modern Recording Techniques, The Art of Mixing and Mastering Audio.
After that there are several...

Are there any good books on tracking????? Stuff relevant to DI recording, choosing/purchasing and using an audio interface???? There is some really good stuff on mixing and mastering so far, but how about getting tracking down right..................why is this first step overlooked???????????

Last edited:
Back