Best way to cable and record my synths to hardware recorder (Akai DR8)

Brian Hintze

Hello,

I would like some input on how best to cable all my synths (5) to the Akai DR8 hardware recorder.

Please look at the attached image for all the details.

Any help is most appreciated!

Thank you,
Brian

setup.jpg

The diagram is a bit too dark and wee for these old eyes but I don't understand why the synths don't go to the MIXER first and then that send signals for recording?
That is the normal way to do it.

Dave.

When I run all synths into mixer, and then to recorder...it's a one shot recording.
I can no longer listen to the song, and mix/master the individual tracks with fx, volume levels, eq, etc, etc.

I wanted to be able to record tracks..one at a time, and then mix the song using the mixer as a tool (in regards to eq, volume, etc).

I did end up figuring a way to do this, but I am switching to a SSL 2+ audio interface and will use a DAW.
The Akai DR8 is quite noisy with its old hard drive, and I didn't want to invest anymore with it.
I also have a Roland VS1824, which I put on Reverb for sale...never liked it too well.

When I run all synths into mixer, and then to recorder...it's a one shot recording.
I can no longer listen to the song, and mix/master the individual tracks with fx, volume levels, eq, etc, etc.

I wanted to be able to record tracks..one at a time, and then mix the song using the mixer as a tool (in regards to eq, volume, etc).

I did end up figuring a way to do this, but I am switching to a SSL 2+ audio interface and will use a DAW.
The Akai DR8 is quite noisy with its old hard drive, and I didn't want to invest anymore with it.
I also have a Roland VS1824, which I put on Reverb for sale...never liked it too well.

Have a REALLY good read of the review of the Tascam Model12 'mixer' in the November SoS. That has just about everything including MIDI ports...On a MIXER FFS!

Ok, $600ish but you get everything you need.

Dave.

Back