The Best Stand Alone Recorders?

berkleywoods

Hey. So I'm in an acoustic teen roots/rock band. We got keys, guitar, drums, bass, sax, and 3 vocals. We're looking into purchasing a stand along multitrack recorder around $1000. Roland, Fostex, Korg, Akai, ADAT?? Whats the best machine out there on the market? We have the Alesis Studio 32 mixer. I figure 16 tracks would be best, but I guess we could settle on 8 if worst came to worst. And we would probably just burn CDs directly from the machine. Thanks for your help and I look forward to the responses.

For a stand alone unit I would say that the Roland 1680 or 1880 would be the best "unit", but for $1,000 that is not going to happen (unless you find someone selling a used unit).

For a $1,000 you would be able to afford an Akai DPS12i (for about $1,200).

But in that case, you might as well by a new desktop with a used video monitor and an internal CDRW.

Because the hard drive on the Akai will not be as big a computers hard drive.

The editing screen on the Akai will in no way, form, or fashion be as big, good, or detailed as a computer.

Plus, the CD Burner for the Akai will be more expensive than one for a computer.

And if it is mobility that you are looking for then get a used laptop with an expansion docking bay.

It will still come out cheaper, plus you get more BANG, BANG, BANG for your buck. :D

Let alone the possibilities of expansion, plug-ins, and Editing Programs i.e. Sound Forge.

I hope this information will be helpful. :COOL:

Peace, Spinsterwun the Sound Chemist from Psychotron Laboratories (PSYLAB INC.)

Yo Berkley in the WOODS:

If you go Roland, you can only buy a Roland CD burner. They think of everything. That may not be bad but I don't know.

I just had a friend do a CD of some of my stuff made from a cassette tape; nice sound in the CD that is not attainable via regular cassette tape.

Sooooo, I plan to buy another PC soon and get the built-in CD R burner so I can transfer my stuff from any medium to CD.

I was interested in the Alesis Masterlink; however, some of our best talents here do not think it is as good as its advertising. Again, the thing for you to do is to try AND HEAR AND DEMO A GOOD SYSTEM, ONE THAT YOU WILL BE COMFORTABLE WITH AND ONE THAT DOESN'T TAKE ALL DAY TO FIND OUT HOW TO MIX DOWN TRACK ONE AND TWO.

Happy Shopping,
Green Hornet

Back