Best replacement for existing monitors?

skycanyon

In 2013 I bought a pair of Alesis M1 Active MkII Reference Monitors on sale for about $300. The left one has gone out (defective internal circuit), and getting it repaired during the pandemic will be crazy. I can either track down a used replacement, or start over and find an equivalent.

Does anyone have suggestions about a good source for buying a used single speaker to match this broken one? Not sure I trust what I see on eBay.
Failing that, suggestions for a new pair? My newbie budget has not changed.

The left one has gone out (defective internal circuit), and getting it repaired during the pandemic will be crazy..

Not even everybody's got to eat. Techs need work.I was just looking for things to bring in, thinking it would be a good time with fewer people.

My physical rack gear is all 20+ years old. Never needed to buy anything new, until the DAW came into play. Now I scramble for pluggins.

Unless you can troubleshoot the problem yourself, it is probably not worth getting it repaired. Techs usually charge $75+ an hour with a minimum fee just to do an estimate on repair.

Go for Mikes suggestion from Sweetwater but buying a random, single speaker means it will likely be a poor match to the incumbent and your stereo imaging will go to ***t.

Best plan IMHO is to go for a new pair, monitor design has come on leaps in 7 years both in quality and value fm. Keep the existing speaker as a mono sum checker?

Dave.

Keep the existing speaker as a mono sum checker?

Dave.

Nah! Wrap it in plastic and dispose of it. Probably infected with the corona. Most likely that’s what killed your other speaker.
Can’t be too careful these days ;)

I've got a pair of them I've used since they first came out. Mine still work fine but I did some research one time on any problems with them. Seems I read several posts on a common problem and easy fix for the failed ones. I don't remember the problem or fix. Google search .. These older ones also have a 6.5" woofer instead of the 5" they're selling now. It would cost me twice as much to get a pair as good as these are. mark

Back