Best equipment to record many people while also playing for a crowd

Aidan Norton

So as of right now I’m working with just a Mac book pro, with my aux going into a fishman amp to mix, with an 2 input audio box with a midi as my interface. I have a synth running through one input and switch out guitars and mics in the other while recording, but I want to start recording live with other people while also filming to have like a snarky puppy studio sound but preforming live. I was wondering if getting an 8 input audio interface to record and perform live at the same time would solve all my problems. I was also wondering if a pa would have any value, I was at first thinking of buying a pa for the doing gigs. Would the audio interface work the same way even with one laptop. I’m trying to make some vibrations when it’s live.

Last edited:
Recording a whole group live can be a challenge. For one thing, as soon as you settle on an interface with eight channels you'll have a show with nine inputs.

Interfacing between the PA and the recording rig is something to consider. One simple solution is to use a digital mixer that has the ability to connect to a laptop for recording. Even simpler is the latest StudioLive series of mixers that can record straight to an SD card.

Is the Fishman amp your PA? With more people you're going to need a lot more PA, if only so there are enough monitors for the performers. I think we may need more information to better understand what you're doing now and what your goal is.

Seeing no budget mentioned I would go for the QSC touchmix8 you can completely multi track on this via a SSD drive that you plug directly in to the mixer, and you can mix the multitrack down at home on the same touchmix.

You also then have a very good mixer for the PA at the same time.

Alan.

We’re doing quite a bit of ‘record everything’ projects now with our M32 or X32 desks into a MacBook. Piece of cake to setup. Sometimes it will be with small, medium or big PA or often no PA at all. Maybe an X32 rack would work for you with an I pad or control via computer? Second hand at sensible prices is common on ebay

i recently bought the Behringer XR18. Got a great price on it used. 18 streaming channels to your computer for your recording. Front of house and monitor mixer for live sound. I haven't used it on a gig yet, but have used it in rehearsal. No problems so far. Yeah, it's a behringer and I was hesitant, but it was a great price. One caveat: you gotta get the 18 channel or higher mixer for recording your live show, otherwise the lower channel units only streams the stereo-bus to your PC.... The stereo bus may sound good to the audience, but may not sound good as a recording.

Back