best buy to complete set up

The JBL LSR series are good sounding monitors. I have a pair of the LSR305's for monitoring after trying a couple others that had a well known brand name. The JBL's used to go on sale occasionally and was when I got mine.

I also have the FetHead that I use for an SM7b, RE20, and a couple other low output dynamic mics. It works well and gives plenty of quiet gain.

I would never recommend any 'monitor' speakers with 3" 'woofers' - although the spec say they can go down to 55Hz, what is the actual dB dropoff in that range? Also, I've learned that any 'monitor' speakers that have the amp in one speaker, and the other is non-powered, with a line running from the first amped speaker are really not suitable as monitors - they may be a big step above the usual computer speakers, but that's all they really are - better computer speakers.

Totally agree Mike...But! I have just bought my son a pair of Presonus Eris 3.5s why? Because they will be a vast improvement on what he has, ONE computer speaker! Also, just when it looked as though he was getting a permanent home in Le Havre, Covid struck. He is still in his flat atmo but work has dried up and he does not know how long he might have it, consequently he does not want too much in the way of valuables. In any case I cannot afford better right now and I might need to raise some cash to bail him out.
Fortunately he has lots of musician friends so will never be on the streets.

Dave.

I would go with the Monitors, Headphones are Great. I prefer using the two. You also should take in mind when purchasing Hardware such as comps, eq, Pre-amps to try and get stereo or pairs of each. That way you can use them on your Master Bus. Not just one mic or one track.

Back