Behringer TM1 or is it a Tannoy?

cant seem to find out much about this mic. anyone heard anything about it?

it looks like a røde nt1a/ Tannoy tm-1

maybe behringer has bought another company and taken over their product?......

Behringer TM1 CompleteVocalRecording – Thomann Danmark
The comparison with the RØDE NT1a is (I hope) just cosmetic as this look is pretty popular right now.

Tannoy and Behringer are one, so it's just probably branding chosen for particular markets. Looks like it's Tannoy here.

From Wikipedia (bits stitched together):

Music Group is a holding company based in the City of Makati, Metro Manila, Philippines.[2] It is chaired by Uli Behringer, founder of Behringer.
... In April 2015, Music Group acquired TC Group.
... In 2015 Tannoy was acquired by Music Group (company) along with TC Group which itself had acquired Tannoy in 2002.

Behringer have defiantly not taken over Rode. In actual fact the Freedman Company, that also owns Event Electronics, Aphex Systems and SoundField Limited.

The funny thing is that the original Rode NT1 looked like a Neumann. I own 2. Plus an original NT2 which looked even more like a Neumann.

Alan

NT1_1.jpgNT2-1.jpg

So! Bellringers have knabbed Tannoy? That probably means no more support for my Reveal 5As then! Not that they have ever been a bit of bother in ten years or so and my next purchase of monitors IF I can ever scrape the moolar together will be something really exotic like PMCs.

However, that mic looks nice and if the specification is to be believed would be a good choice for a low noise speech microphone.

Dave.

They kept the small speaker ranges - Sio I think you are safe in the 5 to 8" market, but Tannoy's famous dual concentric designs seem to have sunk without trace. My favourite bigger monitors were my 15i dual concentric I bought in the late 90s. totally amazing studio speakers and you could sit practically anywhere in their presence without the sound changing very much at all. I wish they still made them. Now, it seems that it's the brand name that keeps them going, rather than any real technical foundation. Why would a loudspeaker firm start to make microphones? Daft!

They kept the small speaker ranges - Sio I think you are safe in the 5 to 8" market, but Tannoy's famous dual concentric designs seem to have sunk without trace. My favourite bigger monitors were my 15i dual concentric I bought in the late 90s. totally amazing studio speakers and you could sit practically anywhere in their presence without the sound changing very much at all. I wish they still made them. Now, it seems that it's the brand name that keeps them going, rather than any real technical foundation. Why would a loudspeaker firm start to make microphones? Daft!

Ha! I used to recommend Tannoy to forumites on the basis that they had been in the speaker business for nigh on 100 years and should know a thing or 3! Plus they did not make every other electronic audio gimcrack on the market. Can't say that anymore.
So yeah, "Badge" audio marketing.

The Dual Cs must have become VERY expensive to produce? That is a very complex and big chunk of Cobalt magnet alloy! The Genelec concentrics get a very, very good rep but I am not sure they compare to a 15 incher!

Dave. (BTW Rob, site seems ok atmo?)

The trouble with dual concentric is that they do have a characteristic sound - that you love or hate. Like Bose, I guess. I liked mine so much that I did a club/venue install and used the same design speakers in the PA line and they sounded amazing - with some big subs. When the venue closed they gave me the speakers - and the tops I sold, but I had to give away the subs - nobody wanted dual 18" subs with a few problems. four of them were perfect, two others had one dodgy driver and in the end I believe they were skipped! I really wish I'd kept the tops.

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd mention that Tannoy Dual Concentrics are very much alive. There's the budget Gold range in 5", 6.5" and 8" versions and they've been selling the Arden reissue for a while now if you want a proper big Tannoy. As far as I can see they also still sell spares for the old Tannoys too - mine need replacement foam every 30 years or so.

Back