For Beginners

Lo-Fi Mike

This look like a really good package for the beginning "home recorder".
i just came across it looking for deals on the Internet.

Mic / Pre package

I've heard good things about this micpre ( in it's price range ).

---mike---:D

I don't have any experience with that pre, but I've used a PreSonus compressor in the same price range and it works really well. No idea on the mic, either. Basically I know nothing, but thought I'd yammer anyway...

This look like a really good package for the beginning "home recorder".
i just came across it looking for deals on the Internet.

Mic / Pre package

I've heard good things about this micpre ( in it's price range ).

not sure about the particular package, but i know Presonus equiptment is pretty decent for the price, i own the Presonus Eureka as a channel-strip, initially copped it as my preamp because i needed phantom power for my AKG Perception 400.... but it has a saturation knob to simulate the "tube", as well as it's own EQ and Compressor directly from the analog-board/strip........ so you kinda got the best of 3 worlds, well not the best, but a great starting-point that can actually compete with alot of higher-end equiptment........

not sure about the mic either, because my Eureka and AKG Perception 400 were the only pieces of equiptment i ever invested in, and thats really all i need because i'm just recording vocals from home anyway, but alot of people here can offer a great variety because some of them actually work in pro-studio's and have more of a technical-based knowledge of equiptment and such.......

that preamp was the first one I ever owned coupled with a Samson Co1 (don't reccomend, way to noisy). I would spend $20-$30 bucks and replace the tube thats in there and you have a pretty decent preamp for very cheap.

No idea about that mic though.

This look like a really good package for the beginning "home recorder"... I've heard good things about ...
You're recommending gear you haven't used?

I think there's other budget gear that sounds much better - especially the mic. Of course, a mic's desirability depends on the source and what kind of sound you want. I tested it and found the 990 to be very edgy.

"looks Like"

You're recommending gear you haven't used?

I'm not saying go out and buy it, I said "looks like a good deal". What i wanted to happen is exactly what has happened.
I saw 2 items that normally go for much higher than they are being advertised for. Like i said I'm always online looking for deal and discounts and i just happen to come across something that someone might be interested in, I never said i had experience with them, but others have, and have commented about there experiences.
If i was in the market for a KSM 27, and was about to get one from Sweetwater tomorrow, but someone posted a thread about Zzounds giving away a $25.00 gift certificate for the purchase of a KSM 27 I would really appreciate that. Then I'm sure i would see comments about this mic from other forum members.

P.S. Zzounds actually is having that deal, and Guitar Center is having a $500 price drop on the Alpha Channel, and the Alpha VHD.
I can and do recommend the Alpha VHD for $1,199.99. Mine is still worth the $1,695.97 i paid for it.

Edit: man, the ksm27 special was on there early this morning. Did everyone go and get'em all?

Last edited:
I have an older Presonus Blue Tube & quite like it. Better than the stuff I had. That mic. I have no idea about. BUT it'd be better than most stuff I have & the price - NOTHING ever comes that cheap to Australia.
Try Harmony Central reviews.

Back