basics of compressors, other help...

Kent

hello...first, I must say I am very new to recording, but I guess everyone started somewhere, right? I have a Tascam 414, and a few days ago, I bought a NanoCompressor, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some info. about how to ( effectively) use it. The manual is driving me crazy. My goal in recording right now is to make good, clear, nice quality tapes of my friends bands, so if anyone could help me by letting me know about what equipment helped them, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks....
Kent

I recall that the manual is not too bad -- it gives suggested settings for most instruments, and explains how it works. Behringer also has a nice long manual (PDF) available at their website. What kinds of problems are you having getting a good sound? Distortion? fluctuating levels? Noise? Lousy EQ? The more specific you are with your question, the better able people will be to help. -- Mark

Well, my biggest problem is probably a lot of distortion. A very " dirty, grungy" kind of sound. And I try to clean it up as much as I can. Also, I would have to agree with the lousy EQ....also, I am not using the best mics. in the world, ( Shure BG 2.0), and I was gonna buy a few sm-57s, 58s, but I was advised that I should first try to get a reverb unit and a good compressor. So I guess that's my problem. Thanks for the reply!..........Kent

My 2 cents would've been:
spend the dough on better Microphones rather than equipment to rescue the signal destroyed by crappy Microphones.

that's exactly what I thought, but, I've got some cash left. So I guess a few 57s and a 58 wouldn't hurt at all. thanks for the reply!

Back