Bare essential gear for mixing and mastering an entire band?

loucephyr

Hey guys Lou here,

As most of us are awaiting our tax returns, I'm looking into finally putting my full studio together. The space is a pretty large room with a pitched ceiling. I will update this post with exact dimensions as soon as I can stop by the building. For now I'm looking for information on all the essential equipment needed in recording a full band. I'm talking drums, guitar, vocals, bass, and random other instruments such as congas and piano's. I'm looking to get the best bang for my buck, but the first priority is to achieve a good sound. My budget is somewhere under $2000 and to make this easier I'm going to list the gear I already own. I know some of it will have to be replaced so here it is -

Custom PC 4GB ram / 3.7Ghz AMD Phenom Black Edition
M-Audio Bx8a monitors
M-Audio Mobile Pre Interface 2 ins/outs
Alesis 3630 compressor
Art EQ351
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482
Presonus HD7 headphones

and also a few midi controllers.

Alright so if anyone can please just put together a list of these bare essentials for recording a decent quality album, it would be greatly appreciated. If any of the gear listed happens to be for sale in our forum, feel free to post a link!

Thanks in advance for the help and support guys,

Lou

Last edited:
You mention recroding a full band - are you going to be doing this 'live' - all instruments at one time - or one instrument tracking at a time?
The weak link in your system right now is the Mobile Pre. You're going to want more simultaneous track capability just for the drums, let alone if you are going to record the whole band at once.
You'll need microphones, stands, cables. Headphone amp and headphones for all the band members.
Very important: sound treatment in the room.

Alesis 3630 compressor
Art EQ351
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482
Sell that off to make room for whatever.
Absolutely can't push that enough. Blow *at least* half that money on 2'x4'x4" broadband panels and it's going to change everything.

You mention recroding a full band - are you going to be doing this 'live' - all instruments at one time - or one instrument tracking at a time?
The weak link in your system right now is the Mobile Pre. You're going to want more simultaneous track capability just for the drums, let alone if you are going to record the whole band at once.
You'll need microphones, stands, cables. Headphone amp and headphones for all the band members.
Thanks for the advice guys, I will be recording in a home studio. It will be one track at a time. I am also an audio engineering student so I do basic knowledge and have basic skills in the industry. Can you recommend decent gear that falls in my budget? Although I do want budget gear I'm looking to go the extra mile for sound quality in my home studio. ie: if a rack unit for reverb is ideal in comparison to VST's, etc. Most importantly, I need a decent mic for vocals, and condensers for overheads. The rest of the mic's I'll probably decide upon some of the industry standards.

Once again guys, thanks for the help.
I'll also be posting pics of the progress!

Lou

P.S. if anyone knows of an eleven rack selling at a decent price, feel free to post the link :)

Can you recommend decent gear

Sell that off to make room for whatever.

Absolutely can't push that enough. Blow *at least* half that money on 2'x4'x4" broadband panels and it's going to change everything.

I know you're asking for gear advice, but do listen to these guys.
All the gear in the world won't matter in a bad room.

Gear wise, I'd try to make a decision now about whether you want outboard hardware or not.
If you want to go down that road, decide if you want to be live processing or looping through your racks after recording.
This will dictate what kind of interface suits you.

I know you're asking for gear advice, but do listen to these guys.
All the gear in the world won't matter in a bad room.

Gear wise, I'd try to make a decision now about whether you want outboard hardware or not.
If you want to go down that road, decide if you want to be live processing or looping through your racks after recording.
This will dictate what kind of interface suits you.
Thanks for the heads up, bud. I will definitely be looping afterwards because I don't like the idea of not having raw tracks. I will also be putting some acoustic treatment under my carpeting. I'm building a treated vocal booth and the walls around the drum area will be treated as well. If you'd like to recommend some acoustic treatment for walls that falls in my budget, feel free!

Thanks for all the help and support guys,

Lou

First you say '1 track at a time', then mention overheads .... What is the maximum number of simultaneous seperate tracks will you be recording?
First, pick the audio interface, as that is most likely going to be your largest single expense at this stage.
Vocal mics - different voices, different mics, there is no set answer.

some acoustic treatment under my carpeting
:facepalm:
Do some reading - lots of info the Studio Building section of these forums. 1) carpet on the floor is not ideal; 2) there is no effective acoustic treatment that will go under a carpet. Broadband absorbant panels are what's needed.

First you say '1 track at a time', then mention overheads .... What is the maximum number of simultaneous seperate tracks will you be recording?
First, pick the audio interface, as that is most likely going to be your largest single expense at this stage.
Vocal mics - different voices, different mics, there is no set answer.

:facepalm:
Do some reading - lots of info the Studio Building section of these forums. 1) carpet on the floor is not ideal; 2) there is no effective acoustic treatment that will go under a carpet. Broadband absorbant panels are what's needed.

Hey Mike,

I will be recording one instrument at a time, but as you know overheads are used in micing drums. I also like to throw an overhead in the booth for vocals, acoustic guitars, pianos, and other random moments where I want to experiment. Overall drums will be the only time I'd be using about 7-8 mics at one time. I'd also like to ask why carpet would be a bad idea? I'm curious because I haven't put the flooring in yet so I can still change my mind.

Thanks,

Lou

Flooring isn't going to make or break. But we're talking about broadband trapping. Not carpet padding (or "acoustic foam" or packing foam, or blankets, or egg crates, etc., etc,. etc.).

Personally, I like a live floor - Easy to put a throw rug down if you want. GIKAcoustics.com - RealTraps.com -- You've got a LOT of studying to do...

No offense, but if you are an audio engineering student already, then you have either just started, or the school has not given you the basics yet. Eeek!

To decide on an interface, you need to purchase one that has enough inputs for your future plans of recording. One instrument at a time does not mean drums do not need 4, 6, or 12 input channels. You need to decide what and how you intend to record.

Spend time researching everything from room treatment to mic placement to monitoring. Everything in between is just as important.

audio engineering student already, then you have either just started, or the school has not given you the basics yet.
I have rarely met an audio engineering student that knew the basics once they graduated unless they knew those basics going in.

I have rarely met an audio engineering student that knew the basics once they graduated unless they knew those basics going in.

It is sad, but I feel that can be said for almost any situation. Without the personal desire to learn the basics previous to education within any field, it is just a set of 'read and test'. Seems a case point here...

Again loucephyr, no offense. My son is attending Art Institute of Denver for Audio production. He has had years of playing with audio on his own, as well as having a studio in his basement before deciding to learn on his own at a school. He will likely teach me something...

I hope that you realize the love for the possible profession, as a personal drive for you. Without that, you may not likely enjoy or be good at it.

I wish you the best.

Keep with your studies. Read 'EVERYTHING'. Then start doing. Listen to the members here. Decide by doing, if it is the correct direction for you.

Unless you're willing to go for some really really high end rack units, for just recording, stick with freeware vst's, gonna blow most cheap hardware units out of the water.

Hey guys, thanks for the input Massive Mastering I'll definitely go with the hard floor because your point about the throw rug does make a lot of sense. Jimmy, I am yet a beginner, and did mention above that drums would be the only thing requiring a maximum of about 8 mics. To clarify, this is a studio room in which I will be recording through digital interface. I'm more concerned about the preamps in certain interfaces. For example Presonus vs. Tascam? and do I need a seperate mic preamp thats particularly proficient in preamplifying for vocals and what not? Tube pre's etc. Is outboard compression, and EQ just a royalty? is it a preference? or will I need outboard gear to get a better sound as opposed to just VST's? This is money I can only spend once, this is why I'm asking such elementary questions and I do sincerely apologize.

Thanks in advance for the input everyone,

Lou

An 8 channel interface from presonus, focusrite or tascam will be perfectly capable.
Some people buy fancy outboard preamps and what not, but it's really a luxury.
The % improvement usually decreases the more money you spend.

The same goes for rack gear.
Some people prefer that workflow or the hands on approach, but ultimately it's not necessary.
It's a different story if you're tracking live music to an analog medium, but you're not. ;)

I'm not saying there's never any need for hardware but it's not essential and for a simple home recording setup I don't see the point of complicating things.

If you have/get some decent mics and pick up an 8 channel usb interface, put the rest of your money and focus into the room and be happy. :)

Loucephyr,
I can't emphasize enough how much I value the advice this forum gives....there are many here that have already been where you are at right now......I was about a year ago......wallet in hand and a dream on my mind.....I wanted to fuel my obsession so eagerly and wanted it now!!! By reading and reading some more and taking the advice from here I was able to realistically paint my big picture and slow down to make the right choices and learned some of the things that you might think are most important are not.....some of the seemingly unimportant things actually are!!! The last thing you want is cool new equipment in a uncool sounding room....I went back and fixed the room 1st then slowly have been adding the right equipment and the recordings are far better than ever!!!! Best of luck to you in your search for sound!!!

Loucephyr,
I can't emphasize enough how much I value the advice this forum gives....

Definitely agree on this one. I've learned everything I know about recording and much more on this site. I roamed around for over a year before even registering. You get honest response from really experienced people who are willing to take their time and help us out. Slowly gaining a little competence (though still minimal), enough so that I myself can give advice about a few things here and there. All thanks to a lot of great, patient and extremely competent people on this board.

Still have sooo much to learn, and this is the definite place for that.

Alright guys, I suppose it would be smart to invest more in the room. Any suggestions? What type of flooring is best? is hardwood necessary?
Also the absorption pads for the walls? Do I want diffusors? How far long the walls should they go? I have a pitched ceiling above the drums, do I need pads there as well?
Other than flooring and diffusor pads, is there anything else I might need to consider for the room?
Also, I'm really concerned about equipment because I currently own none, and even with the prettiest room around I won't be able to record without even the more elementary hardware.

Thanks in again for all the input guys, It really is appreciated.

Lou

This is where the going gets tougher...patience......making a room acoustically functional is a good start......pretty can be built in or dealt with when you can afford more.......If you dig into the Studio builds section on the Forum you will find a library of information......not all rooms have to be done the same way.......also basic recording interfaces do not break the bank so you can have a little of what you want while working towards what you need.....Heck we used a 2 channel interface with 2 condenser room mics placed correctly for over a year while I was saving cash to do the studio room right.......so basic can get you what you need for now and fancy can come once the $$$ is there...reading posts here over and over digging thru threads is free!!! What a great resource!!! This will get you started https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/studio-building-acoustic-treatment/

Back