Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Band self recording, mixing and mastering

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I agree, don't worry about the numbers too much. Just avoid letting peaks reach 0dBFS.

In general that new mix would need more low end in the drums and bass, and more guitar. But that's a very general response to a mix I know wasn't intended to be a finished product.

The snare does sound distant. I think you may need to re-record the drums to get a beefier sound.

Thanks
    Thanks to both for the reply. It allready helped a lot to have a fresh perspective. I'm aware that getting to a profesional sounding record in short experience and low budget it's almost imposible if possible at all. But i do want to reach the limit with what we got before i consider spending serius money on gear if that would make a big diference. I just want to have more precense in the tracks.
    I will re-track the drums next session using all close up mics. maybe the overheads pointing at the cymbals with lower volume, instead of aiming for the snare. That may help with the room issue, right?

Will work in the low end of this session in the meantime. any tips for the low end of things?

Thanks again for the tips!

Thanks
    One thing you can do on this forum is learn about 4-mic drum recording techniques. The two to start with are recorderman and Glyn Johns.

Thanks
    You should be able to trigger samples, as suggested, to bring the kick and snare a bit closer to what you want, but I think next time you'll want to get those tracked a bit better. You could try to trigger off the snare as you have it, filtering for some frequency, or dup the track, serious EQ and gate and let that trigger.

Attached is something I did that shows I usually do acoustic guitar tracks . But, I think you can hear the triggered kick, at least.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

5. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ohh, that's a big difference allready! the bottom end has punch now. And the snare does sound better. Did you eq too?
    What plugin do you recomend to replace the kick?
    So i should have samples inserted in a parallel track?
    Definetely will do both, re-track and use samples

Thanks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf14 View Post
    Ohh, that's a big difference allready! the bottom end has punch now. And the snare does sound better. Did you eq too?
    What plugin do you recomend to replace the kick?
    So i should have samples inserted in a parallel track?
    Definetely will do both, re-track and use samples

Thanks!
    I use Logic Pro X and it has a "Replace or Double Drum Track" menu item. Then I just scrolled through some sets that were part of EZDrummer for something that sounded Ok. Going back and looking now (I might have broken one of my internet rules last night...), I did try a snare replacement but it's not very accurate because it really needs a mic'd snare to work well. That feature in Logic allows you to add or replace a track, but I couldn't replace since the original was the stereo mix, so it's a parallel/added track.

And, there's a bit of low shelf lift around 170Hz and a wide bell up at 3.6kHz. And some more limiting - pretty sausage-like when I look at it .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    I use Logic Pro X and it has a "Replace or Double Drum Track" menu item. Then I just scrolled through some sets that were part of EZDrummer for something that sounded Ok. Going back and looking now (I might have broken one of my internet rules last night...), I did try a snare replacement but it's not very accurate because it really needs a mic'd snare to work well. That feature in Logic allows you to add or replace a track, but I couldn't replace since the original was the stereo mix, so it's a parallel/added track.

And, there's a bit of low shelf lift around 170Hz and a wide bell up at 3.6kHz. And some more limiting - pretty sausage-like when I look at it .
    What internet rule did you broke? if you refer to messing with my audio, i'm more than happy with it
    This particular song is the test subject for the hole process. The band songs are slightly diferent in style. More zeppelini'sh
    But in other songs the snare issue is more evident.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf14 View Post
    What internet rule did you broke? ...
    It had something to do with the number of glasses of wine consumed before sitting in front of the computer... Glad I didn't do any harm

Thanks
    = Glad I didn't do any harm
    No harm at all. All the contrary
    I've been doing some test with adding samples to the kick and the snare. And it works, kinda. But then i realize that the overheads catch too much room. and also bleed from the instruments. But i do feel like not only the drum mics sound thin, but also the instruments. So i was wondering. Do i need some device (preamp or something like that maybe like the "behringer mic800") to have a better signal on the input? or is it the same to then adjus the gain of the recorder signal?
    Shall mics go trough some sort of analog preamp stage?
    Right now feeling like even tho i re track the drum with better micing technique, it might end not beeing enough for the hole mix. since both bass and guitars also have that "distant"feel to it. Every descent recording have all it's part right in you face, except for vintage bands.
    Any sugestions there?

Thanks!

Thanks
    You don't need any preamps at this point. IMO, your problem is you are trying to record a band with only 4 inputs, and that's only possible if you track drums separately (limited to 4 mics), guitar and bass - maybe even those need to be done separately, and then vocals.

The problem is not the preamps, but mic placement and how you are recording, IMO. (A preamp isn't going to change how the mic behaves if you place it far enough from the source it's picking up too much room. You fix the room or move the mic.)

All at once, I have done 2 guitars, bass, 2 vocals and drums (3 mics) with 8 channels. It's ok for a demo, but you really need more. I did a band with one more guitar and vocal and used up 11 tracks - should have been 12 but I ran out of mics then (since corrected and added to checklist). But, I am able to go to 16 tracks now (this is my mobile stuff, not at home), which are pretty easy to consume if you want the most flexibility in mixing. Using a track to trigger a snare pretty much requires a mic on the snare, same for the kick, though it's a little easier to pick out if you have a drum mix like you posted.

I'd consider trying to get a scratch rhythm down, maybe with one rhythm guitar (amp mic'd), bass direct and 2 mics on the drums, or if you think you want to get the bass final, DI and cabinet, and a single mic pointed at the drums. Then, go back and re-track the drums with 4 mics. Then, add guitars, and finally vocals. Or something like that. (The Behri does not have ADAT input so you can't expand it cheaply.)

Good luck. I think you have a pretty good sound for a first pass at this, and if you're trying for a kind of demo or something, throw some pictures into a video slideshow and folks won't be listening that closely .

Thread Information