baby face pro question

newbie956

so i recently purchased a rme aio pcie soundcard the thing is i dont have a mic preamp to get started on recording.. so i was searching online for a mic preamp and i found a seller thats selling a used rme babyface pro for exactly my price range (Cheap).. but i was wondering if i can use the babyface pro to act as a standalone mic preamp bypassing the baby face pro usb connection and going straight into my rme aio pcie card and if so what connections can i use to do so?

Agreed. Ditch the PCIe card, buy the BabyFace Pro, and enjoy the marvels of modern USB audio interface connectivity :D

so i recently purchased a rme aio pcie soundcard the thing is i dont have a mic preamp to get started on recording.. so i was searching online for a mic preamp and i found a seller thats selling a used rme babyface pro for exactly my price range (Cheap).. but i was wondering if i can use the babyface pro to act as a standalone mic preamp bypassing the baby face pro usb connection and going straight into my rme aio pcie card and if so what connections can i use to do so?

itwastoodifficulttoreadthatsoigaveup

I don't own a babyface but a friend that does says it amazing.

Alan.

I don't either, but I do have a FireFace UCX. Between the preamps, the converters, and the drivers, it leaves nothing to be desired for a home studio. I think every big brand of interface should give up trying to write Windows ASIO drivers and just hire RME to do it for them :)

Yes, the Babyface Pro can run as a stand alone device if you get a suitable power supply* so, unless the wallet cannot take the hit, have both.

The BFP would be hard to beat as a mobile interface and if, in the future you were to invest in an ADAT pre amp that would solve the pre amp problem for the RME card but also give you a ten mic input mobile rig. (the ADAT unit could be of the "lesser" form of the Behringer ADA8200 since you would still have the pristine pres on the BFP and the Berry' for "drums n stuff"! )

*I would not be AT ALL surprised that you could in fact power the BFP from a USB port and still drive the analogue ins of the PCIe card. If I EVER got my mitts of any RME gear they would have to prise it from my cold, dead hands!

Dave.

ok thanks for the info but instead i purchased a (lynx e44 pcie card) and purchased a (avalon m5 mic pre) the thing is now i need a monitor controller to control the volume levels on my headphones and krk rockit 5s..as for the babyface pro the guy i bought it from i dont think took care of it its very glitchy.. i was thinking can i use the babyface pro only for as a monitor controller?

ok thanks for the info but instead i purchased a (lynx e44 pcie card) and purchased a (avalon m5 mic pre) the thing is now i need a monitor controller to control the volume levels on my headphones and krk rockit 5s..as for the babyface pro the guy i bought it from i dont think took care of it its very glitchy.. i was thinking can i use the babyface pro only for as a monitor controller?

Although the Babyface is probably AS transparent as most active controllers, it seems a bit daft to put extra electronics in the monitor path, especially something "glitchy"!!

Now, I am technically averse to passive contollers but for short runs (<10mtrs) and especially balanced runs of cable they are fine. I have the Mackie Big Knob Passive, fed from the low Z balanced outs of my NI KA6 it feeds over less then 3mtrs of balanced cable to a pair of Tannoy 5As and is very good.

You would then have a superb AD/DAC and a controller that adds FA and will be ready for when you spend some proper wedge on some proper monitors!

Dave.

Back