Avantone hookup

Which MixCube do you have, and do you have just one or a pair?

The Focusrite cannot drive a passive model MixCube.

If you have the active model (pair), then you can just take an RCA to 1/4" TS plug cable, since the combo jack is spec'd for "XLR & TRS (COMBO JACK) +4/Balanced and -10 unbalanced" (per Avantone site).

If you only have one MixCube, you'll need to join the two RCA outputs to create a mono signal. That cable you link to is not what you need.

That should do it, though I could not find a schematic of the F'rite to know if it's going to mess with your headphone output (ideally not!).

But in practice, probably yes! That TS (mono) jack plug is going to short the right, ring, channel to ground and whilst that might not damage the output amplifier* it could cause it to distort and that distortion leak over to the left channel.

There is a right way to do these things. The RCA outs can be combined using a resitive "mixer". For the low end Solo I would use at least 3k3 Ohms per "leg" . If splitting the headphone out, 2x 470R will be fine.

Quite a nice little "starter" DIY electronics project? Just need a few jacks, resistors and a tin.

Or, go nuts and buy a monitor controller. I kind my Mackie BK passive very useful.

*The later/bigger F'rite AIs boast a near zero headphone output resistance. I would be very wary of shorting one of those.

And! That cable will only give a left output. NOT a mono sum.

Dave.

Last edited:
Back