[SOLVED] Audio interfaces with 2 headphone outputs for podcasts and voiceover/streaming?

chaoshead

Greetings again, homerecording members!

I have a podcast series that i want to start with a friend of mine as a guest every now and then, and for that, i am trying to locate a reasonable and a good enough audio interface for podcasts with 2 headphone outputs. Any recommendations? Note: I also do a lot of streaming AND voiceover stuff, and my friend would also like to try that with me, hence why it'd be even more useful having an interface with 2 headphone outputs.

Also, i am using an XLR-mic, so it should have the possibility to connect at least 2 XLR-mic to it.

My budget is about €200 / $250. I can maybe stretch it a little bit more, but yea, now i just want to see what my options are.

So far, i have found the SSL2+ as the only option within that budget and that will do the job nicely, even though it seems like it's mostly aimed for musicians, which is not my area. Are there other alternatives for me that will suit well for our purposes?

My current audio interface = Behringer UMC202...

Last edited:
If you just need extra headphone outputs, why not get some thing like the ART HeadAMP4. $80 and it will power 4 sets of headphones. With 4 volume controls, you can adjust for variations in sensitivity.

If you just need extra headphone outputs, why not get some thing like the ART HeadAMP4. $80 and it will power 4 sets of headphones. With 4 volume controls, you can adjust for variations in sensitivity.

Okay, that's an alternative, but for voiceover, that's not an alternative. No other knobs other than volume, it seems? Good suggestion, though, and definitely a cheap one.

Why would it not work for voiceover? Do you need separate feeds for each person for some reason?

If you need different mixes for each person, things get very complicated fast. How many channels are you using?

Why would it not work for voiceover? Do you need separate feeds for each person for some reason?

If you need different mixes for each person, things get very complicated fast. How many channels are you using?

Pardon for not being clear enough, but i need it to have the possibility to connect 2 XLR mics to the interface. I have edited the OP.

It's not complicated at all. I am just looking for suggestions/alternatives for SSL2+ which does allow 2 headphone connections + 2 XLR mics connected to it. That's all. :)

The NI Komplete Audio 6 mk2 has 2 integrated headphone outs, but they just monitor the same main stereo output. The SSL 2+ at least allows you to select whether headphone B direct monitors what's going to outputs 1/2 or outputs 3/4. Same with the Behringer UMC404HD.

I just reviewed the 2+, and it's a great interface for making music. It's got a little bit of personality to it, while most interfaces are geared towards being very neutral and flat. That may not lend itself to voiceover or spoken word very well, but it's a really fun interface to use.

Agreed that sending individual cue mixes to multiple people gets tricky and expensive in a hurry. One of those little Behringer headphone amps with 4 outputs (about $30) would work great if you're OK with everybody hearing the same stereo mix, but having individual volume controls.

*edit* I think you misunderstood Talisman's suggestion about the headphone amp. The headphone amp would be an accessory to your audio interface, not an alternative. It takes a single headphone signal and splits it into several different headphone outputs. You'd plug it into the headphone output of your interface and allow it to distribute multiple headphone jacks to up to 4 people. Same for the Behringer unit I suggested.

The NI Komplete Audio 6 mk2 has 2 integrated headphone outs, but they just monitor the same main stereo output. The SSL 2+ at least allows you to select whether headphone B direct monitors what's going to outputs 1/2 or outputs 3/4. Same with the Behringer UMC404HD.

I just reviewed the 2+, and it's a great interface for making music. It's got a little bit of personality to it, while most interfaces are geared towards being very neutral and flat. That may not lend itself to voiceover or spoken word very well, but it's a really fun interface to use.

Agreed that sending individual cue mixes to multiple people gets tricky and expensive in a hurry. One of those little Behringer headphone amps with 4 outputs (about $30) would work great if you're OK with everybody hearing the same stereo mix, but having individual volume controls.

*edit* I think you misunderstood Talisman's suggestion about the headphone amp. The headphone amp would be an accessory to your audio interface, not an alternative. It takes a single headphone signal and splits it into several different headphone outputs. You'd plug it into the headphone output of your interface and allow it to distribute multiple headphone jacks to up to 4 people. Same for the Behringer unit I suggested.

You're absolutely right; i did misunderstand him, so i apologize for that, TalismanRich. Thanks for clearing it up, Tadpui. Sooo... the solution would be that i could just get that ART he suggested and plug/connect that to my UMC202, huh? Since that already has everything else i need for my purposes?

And crap, that NI Komplete Audio 6 mk2 is not available where i live (scandinavia), only the regular audio 6...

Additionally, i am also planning to buy the Korg NanoKontrol 2 midi-controller, as a nice setup to it all.

So, it seems that the ART is the way to go, as that's both affordable and does the job, right?

You're absolutely right; i did misunderstand him, so i apologize for that, TalismanRich. Thanks for clearing it up, Tadpui. Sooo... the solution would be that i could just get that ART he suggested and plug/connect that to my UMC202, huh? Since that already has everything else i need for my purposes?

And crap, that NI Komplete Audio 6 mk2 is not available where i live (scandinavia), only the regular audio 6...

Additionally, i am also planning to buy the Korg NanoKontrol 2 midi-controller, as a nice setup to it all.

So, it seems that the ART is the way to go, as that's both affordable and does the job, right?

I missed that you already had a UMC202HD, so yeah you'd be in good shape if you get one of the little headphone amps, feed it with the headphone output from your interface, and plug a few sets of headphones into it.

"Affordable and does the job" is pretty much the motto of ART and Behringer :D I honestly like most of the stuff that both of those companies make nowadays.

I missed that you already had a UMC202HD, so yeah you'd be in good shape if you get one of the little headphone amps, feed it with the headphone output from your interface, and plug a few sets of headphones into it.

"Affordable and does the job" is pretty much the motto of ART and Behringer :D I honestly like most of the stuff that both of those companies make nowadays.

Music to my ears that! Much appreciated for both clearing up the things and for pointing me towards the right direction! :)

However, are there similar devices to the ART HeadAmp4? I am asking because it's not available here where i live, apparently, but if not, i can definitely wait until december, which is when it does come available. I just wanted to know if there are other similar devices that one can get for the same/lesser price. Like, will OMNITRONIC LH-031 -or- Mackie HM-4 do the same job?

Thanks to you both!

Music to my ears that! Much appreciated for both clearing up the things and for pointing me towards the right direction! :)

However, are there similar devices to the ART HeadAmp4? I am asking because it's not available here where i live, apparently, but if not, i can definitely wait until december, which is when it does come available. I just wanted to know if there are other similar devices that one can get for the same/lesser price. Like, will OMNITRONIC LH-031 -or- Mackie HM-4 do the same job?

Thanks to you both!

Surely you can get the Behringer HA400? If so worry not about its performance. I have one and the noise levels are very low, I cannot hear any hiss. Output is easily loud and clean enough and it uses the same power chip amplifiers as a much more expensive 'pro' headphone amp. In fact I would bet you MY HA400 that most of the other brands do the same!

Dave (surely Thomann deliver to your 10/20?)

Surely you can get the Behringer HA400? If so worry not about its performance. I have one and the noise levels are very low, I cannot hear any hiss. Output is easily loud and clean enough and it uses the same power chip amplifiers as a much more expensive 'pro' headphone amp. In fact I would bet you MY HA400 that most of the other brands do the same!

Dave (surely Thomann deliver to your 10/20?)

Interesting stuff that be. Just a question, what is the difference between that and the Behringer MICROMIX MX400? I ask because that one is available locally for me. :) Thanks for the suggestion!

Interesting stuff that be. Just a question, what is the difference between that and the Behringer MICROMIX MX400? I ask because that one is available locally for me. :) Thanks for the suggestion!

No good, that is a small 'line' mixer and produces a mix from 4 inputs to two but at 'line level' which is about the same voltage as a headphone feed but does not deliver enough current i.e. milliamps.

Dave.

No good, that is a small 'line' mixer and produces a mix from 4 inputs to two but at 'line level' which is about the same voltage as a headphone feed but does not deliver enough current i.e. milliamps.

Dave.

Alright. Are there any other alternatives to that then, or? Just wondering. If not, i will just try and get that, somehow. :)

The MicroMix feeds 4 line level inputs to a single mono line level output. If you are thinking of adding more microphones, this won't do the job. It is expecting to see voltage around .7 - 1.0 v signal levels with a max of about 5v RMS. Microphones are measure in 1/1000ths of a volt.

It only sends out 1 output, so you can't even add an extra headphone to the output.

The UMC202 will handle 2 microphones, and outputs 1 headphone, which you can feed to an HA400 headphone amp. That device takes one headphone feed and splits it to up to 4 headphones, each with a volume control. The HA400 is only about $25, cheaper than the ART unit.

DON'T get the MX400. It won't do anything for you unless you are trying to hook up multiple devices like electric pianos, synths, etc. to your line level inputs.

Hi, I needed the option for a second Headphone output and I went with the Soundcraft Notepad-8FX. The 8FX has an interesting bus routing feature which the larger Notepads (in the same product line) oddly don't have but effectively gives a nice option (with program monitoring!) of a second headphone output (via the 'Aux' output and a dedicated switch). There is a video on YT which describes it - may work for you as well. Best of luck, cheers.

My wife and I just finished looking at options for a podcast setup and were originally looking at using an old M-Audio interface with a couple of microphones. That would be OK for many of her needs, but getting remote cell phone callers connected was going to be a little tricky. We ended up being pointed toward the Zoom PodTrak P4 podcasting recorder, and are going to get one next when it's released. It will take up to 4 inputs, which can be microphones, instruments, or phones and record to a memory card. For phone calls it will do Mix-Minus, too. It seems like an easy setup, and is priced pretty reasonably at around $200.

Greetings again, homerecording members!

I have a podcast series that i want to start with a friend of mine as a guest every now and then, and for that, i am trying to locate a reasonable and a good enough audio interface for podcasts with 2 headphone outputs. Any recommendations? Note: I also do a lot of streaming AND voiceover stuff, and my friend would also like to try that with me, hence why it'd be even more useful having an interface with 2 headphone outputs.

Also, i am using an XLR-mic, so it should have the possibility to connect at least 2 XLR-mic to it.

My budget is about €200 / $250. I can maybe stretch it a little bit more, but yea, now i just want to see what my options are.

So far, i have found the SSL2+ as the only option within that budget and that will do the job nicely, even though it seems like it's mostly aimed for musicians, which is not my area. Are there other alternatives for me that will suit well for our purposes?

My current audio interface = Behringer UMC202...

The MicroMix feeds 4 line level inputs to a single mono line level output. If you are thinking of adding more microphones, this won't do the job. It is expecting to see voltage around .7 - 1.0 v signal levels with a max of about 5v RMS. Microphones are measure in 1/1000ths of a volt.

It only sends out 1 output, so you can't even add an extra headphone to the output.

The UMC202 will handle 2 microphones, and outputs 1 headphone, which you can feed to an HA400 headphone amp. That device takes one headphone feed and splits it to up to 4 headphones, each with a volume control. The HA400 is only about $25, cheaper than the ART unit.

DON'T get the MX400. It won't do anything for you unless you are trying to hook up multiple devices like electric pianos, synths, etc. to your line level inputs.

Ah, i understand. As i was looking for a Behringer HA400, i found another HA400 by N-Audio! I am asking because the Behringer will be costly for me as i'll have to import it. The N-Audio is available locally and at a very cheap price. What are the differences between those two, if i may ask? And will the N-Audio HA400 do the job for me like the Behringer HA400 would do?

It appears that they are the same generic unit, just sold by different vendors. I also saw a version from China on ebay US with no brand name at all, just MicroMix HA400, as well as Ammoon and FiFine. The FiFine unit appears to have different knobs, but the case, LED and layout are identical.

I would try the N-Audio unit, just make sure you get the HA400 which is the Headphone Amp.

ammoon 4 Channels Mini Audio Stereo Headphone Amplifier HA400 Ultra-compact with Power Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

^Says it uses the same RC4580 amp chip that is in my Behringer (just had it apart) so I would say it is the same PCB and the same headphone amplifier.

Dave.

It appears that they are the same generic unit, just sold by different vendors. I also saw a version from China on ebay US with no brand name at all, just MicroMix HA400, as well as Ammoon and FiFine. The FiFine unit appears to have different knobs, but the case, LED and layout are identical.

I would try the N-Audio unit, just make sure you get the HA400 which is the Headphone Amp.

Thanks for the suggestions and tips! I went for the N-Audio HA400. I believe this thread can now be marked as solved. :)

Back