Audio Interface choices

Joemexistrat

Seems like quality/choice/price have come a long way since my last delving into digital recording. Not a total nooblet just looking for ideas on what the cool kids are using these days.

Looking for a quality 8/8+ interface. The usual suspect's, micd guitar amp, 2 at most vocal mics, bass guitar DI and possibly keyboard controller down the road. DAW of choice will be Reaper. Looking in the range of $300 which seems like a decent starting area for a good usb device.

#Hey Joe"#

Don't think you could do better for the money? The Tascam m'trackers have been around a long time now and we hear next to nothing bad about them.

Bang on your $300 budget but if expansion via ADAT is a possibility save for the 20-20?

Dave.

Dave, hey man. Yeah I saw that one. Also came across UMC1820 which seems to be pretty popular considering Behringer seems to get a little bit of a rap these days.

Dave, hey man. Yeah I saw that one. Also came across UMC1820 which seems to be pretty popular considering Behringer seems to get a little bit of a rap these days.

Well yes, they KEEP cropping up don't they? I WISH TF some top people like Sound on Sound would review one!
That model is the same price as the 16-08 but has ADAT. My reservation is 'Drivers' are they any good? A they 'proper' ASIO? There has been at least one post where latency was poor but I have no idea is the matter was resolved.

All I know is I had a Behringer USB 2.0 interface, the BCA2000. Drivers were total shit and they did not keep up with Win 7. Buy that Bellringer and the next 'ball breaker' update from MS could render it junk.

If I was DESPERATE for 16 channels and $300 was my absolute limit, I guess I would go Berry but if you don't think you will ever need more than 8 ins, stay Tascam.

Dave.

Well yes, they KEEP cropping up don't they? I WISH TF some top people like Sound on Sound would review one!
That model is the same price as the 16-08 but has ADAT. My reservation is 'Drivers' are they any good? A they 'proper' ASIO? There has been at least one post where latency was poor but I have no idea is the matter was resolved.

All I know is I had a Behringer USB 2.0 interface, the BCA2000. Drivers were total shit and they did not keep up with Win 7. Buy that Bellringer and the next 'ball breaker' update from MS could render it junk.

If I was DESPERATE for 16 channels and $300 was my absolute limit, I guess I would go Berry but if you don't think you will ever need more than 8 ins, stay Tascam.

Dave.

I know all about drivers "20 years in IT" lol. So yeah that can be an issue. 8 channels is probably more then enough as I doubt I'll ever be mixing a fully micd drum set or anything crazy.

I know all about drivers "20 years in IT" lol. So yeah that can be an issue. 8 channels is probably more then enough as I doubt I'll ever be mixing a fully micd drum set or anything crazy.

Well, 'Ektually, the Tascan 16 08 has additional line inputs taking the analogue input count to 16. Should you need more than 8 mic inputs you could beg, borrow or hire in some preamp or a mixer.

Dave.

Back