Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Audio Interface with 4 preamps for Windows (USB)

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    For vocals, a large diaphragm condenser (LDC) is usually the first pick, though one of those will work best with some kind of minimal treatment to damp room reflections, since they'll pick up everything and while you may not notice those little tiny reflections when you're talking, you will be driven batty by them in the recorded tracks. That RØDE NT1 has good reviews (better than the NT1a IIRC) and if it comes with a suspension mount and pop filter, probably a good place to start. You'll want the latter for any LDC (IMO). That type of mic also works for acoustic guitar though it's easy to get a very boomy recording without some more attention to placement, and maybe more room treatment.

The temporary treatments described by @ecc83 are usually good enough for recording acoustic instruments and vocals at normal ranges and levels. At the top/bottom end of the spectrum and at loud volumes something more heavy and probably permanent are necessary. Bass traps for bass instruments (duh), and if mixing, probably going to help more than you'll realize until you actually have them.

I agree that getting a set of actual monitors for mixing is better. Keep the other system for a kind of secondary playback, or validation, point to make sure the mix you come up with on monitors "translates" to other outputs, including earbuds, headphones, PC speakers, etc.

Good luck!
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

2. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    The 2.1 speaker system seems to be Blue tooth?

I suggest you get some good monitors and use those for "serious" work on the UR44 and leave the 2.1 system intact, as is for "playtime"?

Microphones? That I shall leave to others with vastly more experience. I will say I like an SDC for acoustic guitar (or two!)

For recording, you need to kill reflections in the room and this can be a temporary rig. Duvets, blankets front and back of singer, you are trying to stop sound coming back into the mic..
    Thanks Dave,

The 2.1 system is wired to the PC. My idea was to toss it or use it elsewhere and get a better 2.1 active monitor system and connect the new system to the guitar and monitor the guitar.

Sweetwater has recommended the sE Electronics X1 S Studio Bundle over the Rode or AKG options I was considering. sE Electronics X1 S Studio Bundle | Sweetwater

Am working to make some screens that we an move away when not in use to absorb early reflections.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Advani View Post
    Thanks Dave,

The 2.1 system is wired to the PC. My idea was to toss it or use it elsewhere and get a better 2.1 active monitor system and connect the new system to the guitar and monitor the guitar.

Sweetwater has recommended the sE Electronics X1 S Studio Bundle over the Rode or AKG options I was considering. sE Electronics X1 S Studio Bundle | Sweetwater

Am working to make some screens that we an move away when not in use to absorb early reflections.
    Personally I would rather spend as much as I could on really good monitors and not have a sub but others might disagree.

The bundle looks fine. From reviews I have read the reflection filter works but is not magic! It does about as much as a duvet on a frame would do but is of course rather more convenient and elegant! Do not forget, MOST of the "bad sound" get into the FRONT of the mic, over your shoulder so earmark a screen for that.

The screens. What were you thinking? Best bet is a frame of 100mm wide timber (by ~20mm) with the space filled with GF or rockwool. Hold in place with chicken wire and tart up with a suitable open weave cloth. Being an inveterate "gadget guy" I would use the frames as convenient devices to hold XLR boxes and mains diss strips. Keeps cables neat and safe.

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    That RØDE NT1 has good reviews ..probably a good place to start.
    I agree that getting a set of actual monitors for mixing is better.
    Ok so I should choose between the Rode NT1 and sE Electronics X1 S and ignore the AKG C214?

Personally I would rather spend as much as I could on really good monitors and not have a sub

Do not forget, MOST of the "bad sound" get into the FRONT of the mic, over your shoulder so earmark a screen for that.

The screens. What were you thinking? .
    The reason to get a sub was to maybe get 3" monitors (due to limited desk space) and a subwoofer for the LF.

I was hoping to make a small box like the one in the video below to be kept on my desk when the mic is in use.

and make some floor standing screens (see picture below) that can be behind the vocalist and can be folded and kept away when not in use
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails acoustic-screen-wheels-600x432-jpg  

Thanks
    I am willing to be proved wrong but I don't know of any speakers with 3" cones that can be remotely called "monitors"?

There are the very wee co-incident Genelecs but they are fiercely expensive. I will have a look around but am pretty sure a 4" (100mm) woofer is about the smallest true monitor. You can always check LF on headphones.

Note, it is not that a sib is a bad thing although it needs to be properly integrated with the small speakers and carefully positioned. Subs fill in the lowest octave that even high end small monitors cannot reach for sound physics reasons but they are not vital.

The screens need to be absorbent, 1/8" of fluff on a board won't cut it.

Dave.

Thanks
    I am wrong, sort of! There ARE 3 inch speakers purporting to be monitors by Alesis, M-Audio and others but they all look "plasticy, PC meeja speakers and are mostly sub $200pr.

The best of the bunch perhaps are the Genelec 6010s but in the SoS review 2009 even they are not really given a green light as serious mixing monitors.

The choice seems to be, tiny, compromised AV speakers or something 4" or bigger* and make other arrangements to position them. My Tannoy 5As e.g. are wall mounted on speaker brackets, higher than my seated lugs but angled down. This is done so that the rear ports are not too close to the wall. Still not ideal by some peoples lights but "when the devil drives....."?

*And if decent bass is wanted I would go 5" to 8". Not because bigger cones necessarily give more bass but for a given cut off frequency a bigger speaker will have greater power handling and maximum SPL. That of course assumes "all else is equal"? Rarely is!

Dave.

Thanks
    I will have a look around but am pretty sure a 4" (100mm) woofer is about the smallest true monitor.

Subs fill in the lowest octave that even high end small monitors cannot reach for sound physics reasons but they are not vital.

The screens need to be absorbent, 1/8" of fluff on a board won't cut it.

Dave.
    Given that most of this work involves mixing guitars and vocals I thought a small monitor might cut it. The Genele 8010A are good but very, very, expensive. Let me see if I can wrangle a good price for them. Otherwise I might have to choose between the
    M-Audio Studiophile AV32.1 (never heard them) or AudioEngine A2+ S8 (heard the A5+ without subwoofer but not the A2+)

The best of the bunch perhaps are the Genelec 6010s but in the SoS review 2009 even they are not really given a green light as serious mixing monitors.

The choice seems to be, tiny, compromised AV speakers or something 4" or bigger* and make other arrangements to position them. My Tannoy 5As e.g. are wall mounted on speaker brackets, higher than my seated lugs but angled down. This is done so that the rear ports are not too close to the wall. Still not ideal by some peoples lights but "when the devil drives....."?
    I am also going to wall mount the speakers and would love to have space for the Yamaha HS5 (or even the JBL LSR 305 or Audioengine A5+ ) but I think a 4" like the Tannoy Reveal 402 or ADAM A3x might be biggest I can accommodate.

BTW do you mean the Genelec 8010A?

Thanks
    The only reason to have a sub as part of your monitor system in a 'starter' studio is if you are doing hip-hop/beats with a lot of low end. Without proper trapping, the sub is not going to give you a good balanced frequency response in your room. 3" and 4" 'monitors' usually crap out below 100Hz. Look for some 5" speakers with frequency response down to the low 40s. That's why I went with JBL LSR305s.

On the reflection filter/homemade box - the general consensus (but not unanimous) on these is that they make the vocal 'boxy - because they reduce all the high end, but not the mids that contribute to the boxy sound. So you end up EQing to reduce mids and boost highs/'air'. I've found (in a small room) if I have the mic set up so that I'm facing a 'V' of two bass traps (4" rockwool), I really don't have to worry much about reflections coming back to the mic from the back or side walls (yes, those are treated, too), because the initial sound is getting truncated before it starts bouncing around
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mjbphotos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok so I should choose between the Rode NT1 and sE Electronics X1 S and ignore the AKG C214?
    Well, I actually have a C214 and it's been a good mic. I only have 2 LDCs, and it still gets regular usage, though it's not the one I use on *my* voice, but that possibly has more to do with me than the mic! These things are largely commodities, so I do rely on reviews (ratings and total number), especially by folks that have other mics to compare against, so among the ones you listed at the time, the NT1 seemed like a good option to consider. (I used a friend's tube RØDE, NT2? It was nice and as friendly for my voice as the Miktek I prefer, but I know it's probably a good price bump up from what you are looking at.)
    The reason to get a sub was to maybe get 3" monitors (due to limited desk space) and a subwoofer for the LF.
    Unless you're mixing bass heavy content, from everything I've read, a sub, especially in a small, untreated space, is going to open up another can of worms. I'd consider some 5" speakers like the entry JBL or Yamaha models. Wait for a sale while you treat the room.

From your later post I see you are considering wall mount. No experience but I'd advise against it because of the rear-facing ports on most of these small speakers. I just don't think they're designed to be an inch away from the wall.
    I was hoping to make a small box like the one in the video below to be kept on my desk when the mic is in use.
    Not really useful. The mic's pickup pattern is going to capture mostly from in front of it, and it's the crap bouncing around the room that is going to get in, anyway. And the mics you're looking at don't have a desk stand.
    and make some floor standing screens (see picture below) that can be behind the vocalist and can be folded and kept away when not in use
    Panels on the wall and overhead are a lot more effective. IME in a small space, you just don't accomplish much by trying to do setups and teardowns everytime you want to record. It is far, far more conducive to recording if you can just open the DAW and "push the red button" to get started.
    Last edited by keith.rogers; 09-18-2018 at 05:35.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

12. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ah! Mike's point about the "boxy" nature of that filter (IS a box afterall!) reminds me that even the actual and genuine Reflection filter CAN introduce colouration and great care is needed in positioning the mic I understand,

No, don't think I am wrong about the Genny 6010s? They are cheap AV speakers with a sub. As I say, seems to be the best of their type but still pretty grotty for serious work.

Are the 8010As the co-incident jobs? If so yes, VERY pricey but amazing speakers by SoS accounts!

Dave.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information