Audio affect or midi instrument?

Gareth Mellin

I’ve just started home producing but I need a little help. I’m thinking of paying for a lesson on Ableton. Has anyone ever tried a lesson?

I’ve tried a few YouTube videos and I’ve got two books. The type of bass sound is maybe near best described as a croaky frog like sound. Purple Disco remix of Joy comes to mind. I don’t know if it’s a Clav or affect I’m stumped

Has anyone ever tried a lesson?
Not for Ableton, but yes. 10 years ago, I was having trouble connecting a new controller keyboard to Cubase SE. It was a USB one and it wouldn't connect. I tried for weeks without success and in the process, discovered that there were loads of people all over London doing tutorials so I stumped up the £50 and went for one. I still remember the drive there past the old chocolate factory.
What a crock !
I explained to the guy that all I wanted was to connect the keyboard and he was confident that we'd achieve that but he couldn't do it. In the meantime, he gave me this lesson in how to make MIDI music with Cubase, which I hadn't wanted because my method has always been to use my VSTIs in real time. I just wanted Cubase to house my VSTIs. But even if I had wanted the tutorial, the guy went so fast that it wasn't possible to pick up what he was showing me. I've never been that fast eyed ! It was a waste of £50 and as I said for many years after, the price of an education.
But I'm not so jaded that I ascribe that to every tutor. I think I just happened to get someone that wasn't a good teacher. He knew his Cubase inside out and he kept offering me a cracked copy of the latest edition {which at the time was, I think, Cubase 5}. I remember the drive home through the back streets of Muswell Hill and my near fury and then resignation.
If you are fortunate enough to get a tutor that can actually teach and who is more interested in their student picking up and understanding what they are imparting, then I can see a situation where the lesson will definitiely be money well spent.

Back