AT2020 Really Quiet Plugged Into 48V Phantom Power Supply.. please help

Jacob Gurule

So, I ordered an at2020 and a Phantom Power Supply And one XLR Female to Male 3.5mm cord. Here are the

Amazon.com: InnoGear 1- Channel 48V Phantom Power Supply with 10 Feet XLR Cable and Adapter for Any Condenser Microphone Music Recording Equipment: Musical Instruments

Amazon.com: Audio-Technica AT2020 Cardioid Condenser Studio Microphone: Musical Instruments

Amazon.com: Neewer 8Feet/2.5M Professional Low Noise Microphone Cable 3.5mm Male to XLR Female: Musical Instruments

The items just got here today, and I made sure everything was plugged in correctly, and when I tested it out, it wasn't working. Whenever I use audacity to test it, I can faintly hear me speaking under really heavy static, even when I turn the mic up all the way in the windows settings, I can still barely hear myself and the static only gets worse. I'm not sure what the culprit is. I have tried it without the power supply but that only made it quieter, I have tried different ports(same result), and I dont know whats wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Amazon is good for returns. Return the the phantom power box and the Neewer cable (reason: doesn't work) and get this instead... Amazon.com: BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UM2: Musical Instruments
This 'interface' has 48v phantom for the mic and connects via a USB port. You'll be limited to one mic, but that's all you could do with the setup you have. The mic jack on the computer really isn't designed to work well for this type of mic, as it would lack decent preamps.

Not sure if you'll need an XLR to XLR cable to go from the mic to the USB interface (looks like one came with the phantom box which you would be returning?).

This would be better as it has two mic inputs, but also a little more $$$. Think carefully about if you'd ever want two mics...... Amazon.com: BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UMC202HD: Musical Instruments

Mark's advice is correct - you need an audio interface (so get one that supplies phantom power) and it will connect to your computer via USB and will become your soundcard (disable the one that is built into your computer. Speakers and headphones will plug into the interface, not your computer.

Jacob, you were prepared to spend some $130 'in ignorance' (wtgr). Think very carefully now as to the best way to proceed. What is your immediate intended use for the microphone and computer sound recording and what do you think you might want to do 6 months to a year down the line?

If your plans are to make good recording of your voice (and others?) and especially to record musical instruments and construct songs, save for better than that Behringer. IMO you need to look at interfaces at the $150 US range and above.

There has been another thread where the phantom power capability of the Uphoria range was found to be inadequate* . I doubt that would be a problem in this case since the AT2020 only draws some 2mA but who knows what mic or other phantom powered device you might get in the future?

Caveat bloody emptor!

*I have posted a question with both Amazon and Behringer about this. No sense from either yet!

Dave.

I'm not sure what the culprit is. I have tried it without the power supply but that only made it quieter, I have tried different ports(same result), and I dont know whats wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
More than likely, the problem is you are trying to pass 48v through your mic input on your computer. This input is already powered and that is why you are getting all that noise. Raising the input level through your pc and the fact that your noise floor raises as well, supports this theory.

The second problem you will face is using Audacity. It does not have the ability to read the ASIO file. You may want to check out the FocusriteScarlett Solo for $99.00 and than download Reaper DAW. You can try out Reaper for 60 days free of charge. Again, you CAN NOT run a power supply through your computer mic input regardless of what you decide to do. You can read some good reviews concerning your mic here. Audio-Technica AT2020 Cardioid Condenser Microphone | Sweetwater

Last edited:
More than likely, the problem is you are trying to pass 48v through your mic input on your computer. This input is already powered and that is why you are getting all that noise. Raising the input level through your pc and the fact that your noise floor raises as well, supports this theory.

The second problem you will face is using Audacity. It does not have the ability to read the ASIO file. You may want to check out the FocusriteScarlett Solo for $99.00 and than download Reaper DAW. You can try out Reaper for 60 days free of charge. Again, you CAN NOT run a power supply through your computer mic input regardless of what you decide to do. You can read some good reviews concerning your mic here. Audio-Technica AT2020 Cardioid Condenser Microphone | Sweetwater

+1 ^ The AT 2020 like all decent microphones has a balanced output at a low level. The 3.5mm jack input, if it is mono is NOT balanced and does not have the sensitivity for microphone signals, well, it might but it will be noisy.

The ONLY practical solution is an Audio Interface (but DO try to do better than the bloody Solo!)

Dave.

+1 ^ The AT 2020 like all decent microphones has a balanced output at a low level. The 3.5mm jack input, if it is mono is NOT balanced and does not have the sensitivity for microphone signals, well, it might but it will be noisy.

The ONLY practical solution is an Audio Interface (but DO try to do better than the bloody Solo!)

Dave.

Maybe the OP can tell us what they intend to record. If it is for narration for audio books, then the BLOODY SOLO will work just fine! You don't need a 16 pound sledgehammer to drive a finish nail. Also, regardless of the mic you choose, you can not run phantom power into your mic input jack for your computer.

The ATR 2100 is a great example. It is a dynamic mic that can be used via your USB port and they sound great for specific types of recording when matched with the proper DAW.

Looking at the OP's gear list, I would imagine he was running AT2020 (inlcuded XLR-XLR cable)> Innogear (XLR-1/8"TRS cable) > computer, so not giving 48v to the computer.

Looking at the OP's gear list, I would imagine he was running AT2020 (inlcuded XLR-XLR cable)> Innogear (XLR-1/8"TRS cable) > computer, so not giving 48v to the computer.

Maybe I misunderstood the OPs post. I thought they were running the mic into the phantom power supply via xlr. Then out of the power supply via xlr into the computer via the 1/8 jack. Maybe the cheapest thing the OP can do is spend $49.00 on the Blue Icicle XLR to USB Mic Converter/Mic Preamp. This would provide the needed phantom power as well as allow the mic to be used via the usb port.

Maybe the OP can tell us what they intend to record. If it is for narration for audio books, then the BLOODY SOLO will work just fine! You don't need a 16 pound sledgehammer to drive a finish nail. Also, regardless of the mic you choose, you can not run phantom power into your mic input jack for your computer.

The ATR 2100 is a great example. It is a dynamic mic that can be used via your USB port and they sound great for specific types of recording when matched with the proper DAW.

Yes Mack, the 'bloody Solo' WILL do for podcasting and speech recording very well. Not having a pop mate but I did say in my other post that the OP should consider his future plans before plonking cash on THE most basic AI he can find (we have already had a recent thread where the unbalanced outputs have probably contributed to a ground loop problem) .

I just want folks to spend their hard earned wisely!

Dave.

Maybe I misunderstood the OPs post. I thought they were running the mic into the phantom power supply via xlr. Then out of the power supply via xlr into the computer via the 1/8 jack. Maybe the cheapest thing the OP can do is spend $49.00 on the Blue Icicle XLR to USB Mic Converter/Mic Preamp. This would provide the needed phantom power as well as allow the mic to be used via the usb port.

Yo've got the gear chain correct - it would not supply 48 on the output. Return everything and get a proper USB interface with phantom power is the simple answer.

I just wanted a mic I could use to play video games with friends, no singing or song writing. Thanks for the suggestions! I didn't realize that phantom power didnt do through the computer but like I said when I use the phantom power its only a tad bit louder. Does this matter? Sorry for late reply

Okay, so after doing some research, I think I'm gonna go with the the Behringer UM2 as it provides 46 volts (only 2 volts off from 48), and its really easy to setup. Is there any problems with me doing this, are my cords or mic non-compatable? Please let me know thanks!

Many phantom supplies simply apply the 48V to conductors 2 and 3 as it passes through - the 3.5mm to XLR therefore has 48V applied to it that might make your computer quite unhappy. Some PSUs do use series capacitors on the input to block the DC going back, but loads don't!

Okay, so after doing some research, I think I'm gonna go with the the Behringer UM2 as it provides 46 volts (only 2 volts off from 48), and its really easy to setup. Is there any problems with me doing this, are my cords or mic non-compatable? Please let me know thanks!

The UM2 does supply 48v, not 46v. That should work just fine as long as you go in via the USB port. Most gamers just use a USB headset like this one for $25.00. If you do go with your mic and UM2 you will need to make sure you use headphones to keep the mic bleed away from others you may be playing with. You will not be able to use your desktop speakers. You would simply use the headphone jack on your pc to hear the game.

Back