AT2020 Noise.. please.. help me

shaniu

Hello everyone. Today, after a long waiting, my package from Thomann finally arrived.. I got for the first time a microphone.
AT2020 XLR.
I also got this: Behringer MIC100 Tube Ultragain
And I have USB to XLR cable. I connect the XLR part into "Behringer MIC100 Tube Ultragain", then usb into computer.
And I have a wire which connects "Behringer MIC100 Tube Ultragain" to the microphone, with the same XLR part.
"the t.bone USB 1X" and "pro snake TPM 6".
I also have a pop-filter. " the t.bone MS 180 ".
I have a big problem guys.. when I am speaking there is a noticeable background noise. Even if do not speak into the microphone the background sound persists. It is not because of the fan of my computer. I tried to move the microphone metres away from it. Nothing changed.
Please.. I was so happy that I got this and now it sounds like crap 10$ headphones.. I will attach here a video:

Here is the link.. please.. help me. Try to paste it without the "spaces".. forum doesn;t let me write it properly. www . youtube. com /watch?v=mKwXOBlW_0A[/url]​

Without going into the whys of the equipment you have, the first thing to check is whether the noise is coming from the mic, its cable or the preamp.

Do you have the preamp set so its gain does not cause the mic to light more than the green LEDs on the Behringer? If it's going into yellow, the gain on the preamp is too high.

Then, just remove each piece (mic, XLR cable, preamp) and listen for the noise. When it stops you'll have found the piece where it's entering the system. You might be listening to a bit of ground loop, so if your computer is a laptop, you might also try running it on batteries to see if that makes a difference.

I looked quickly and reviews on the Ultragain are mixed, with some people complaining of noise.

You could also be wrestling with the computer and its audio configuration or noise it is allowing in, though it sounds kind of external. Someone here might recognize it.

I am sure the noise problem is that XLR-USB cable. Can you give us info on it? It's doing a poor job of converting audio to digital, with the inherent noise a cheap converter will impart to the digital stream.
Can you return it and the Behringer preamp? You'll do much better buying an audio interface like this cheap one: Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 | Sweetwater

Thanks for fast answer guys. Strange, it sounds good now on Discord and OBS, but with the same noice.
This is the USB cable I bought : www . thomann . de/gb/the_tbone_usb1x.htm

Thanks for fast answer guys. Strange, it sounds good now on Discord and OBS, but with the same noice.
This is the USB cable I bought : www . thomann . de/gb/the_tbone_usb1x.htm

Yes, I suspect that cable-converter' is where the noise is coming from. How do they build an A-D converter in such a thing - sandwiched in the XLR connector?

Why oh why did you buy a nice mic, and a tube preamp - and then a cheap cable. I agree, this is no doubt the culprit. A few pounds worth of components doing what they do - keep bloggers and gamers happy. You really need to spend between £60 and £100 to get something that sounds nice and is quite quiet. You spent quite a bit on the mic, and if I was you - I'd return the tube preamp and buy an interface - the Behringer U-Phoria gets good comments if you need a really cheap one.

Back