Apex 460 power supply... do I need to send phantom power to that?

hernandog2

Questions are underlined if for easy location.

Can I send phantom power from my mixer to my Apex 460 power supply (powered on and connected to my Apex 460 mic) for recording? Or does that create problems in the power supply/ microphone? Here's why I ask:

I just got my Apex 460 tube microphone in the mail today and it came with a power supply that I was unaware of. Before this mic, I've been recording mono with my Rode NT1A, and would now like to use both of these simultaneously to record stereo on a few instruments. My audio interphase is a presonus firebox that has only one capability for its 48 volt phantom power, which is to send it out to both XLR inputs at once. It's unable to do one or the other. To use my Rode NT1A in the first XLR input, I'll need to turn on the phantom power for it to work properly. To use the Apex 460 in the second XLR input to record stereo, the phantom power will be sent to its power supply box via XLR, and then the box connects to the mic via some weird six pin cable (or something like this). I want to use the box because it allows for different recording patterns on the Apex 460. How can I record with both of these mics without damaging the Apex 460 or the power supply and still have the different polar patterns available for the 460?

Thanks,
Chris

Howdy Chris welcome

What are the two different sources that you wish to record simultaneously?

This question has been brought up before and if memory serves me right with a long debate the 48P will have no affect to the power supply. Though I could be wrong wait till someone knows for sure. My tube microphones on the other hand never see 48P.

Thanks moresound for the welcome and quick reply.

Do you mean sound sources? I'd be using the stereo setup for recording acoustic guitar and glockenspiel. I might try vocals somewhere down the line also.

Phantom power shouldn't be a problem. At the very least, the Apex460 is transformer coupled.

Back