Anyone on Smule ?

Lakelander

Greetings everyone ,
I am also new to the forum and in need of help on my set up . I am not a professional musician. trying to entertain myself with home recording equipments I have purchased recently.

The system consists of : Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre Usb , Rode NT 1 A mic , Several headphones like SH HD Pro 280 , ISK hd 9999,
M6 Pro and KZ 10 driver monitors . Connected to Ipad air via Apple Camera kit and being used for Smule recording.

Something is not right since after all these set up I see the sounds are much clear and better ( of course singers are better too ) even with a single apple ear-pods.

Many can say " Smule is not a good place to use this set up " etc since I hear about this many times but is there any one that using such set up with Smule and get a good results ? I can not explain all due to lack of terminology but I hate my own recordings when I listed without a headphone although it sounds very good with the head phone. This drives me crazy and I am just about to quit :(

I wonder anyone could assist me with the set up etc. or suggestions. Tahnk you all in advance.

Headphones can be very misleading, which is why most of us will use monitor speakers to mix. It's not impossible to mix on headphones, but you have to learn how what you hear with them will really be different when output on different devices, and learn to mix with that in mind. And, in the end, you still have to be able to test the mix on other devices to be sure it will "translate" properly.

But, before that, there are a lot of steps involving setting up to optimize the recorded tracks for low noise and room interference, that most home recorders have to deal with. Until you have a good space to record in, or learn to completely compensate for the space you have, there will be some artifacts of the room in your recordings that can make the end result unsatisfying.

And, of course, there are the most basic technical details of gain/level, pan, EQ, compression and reverb we almost always employ. Have you mastered those? (I have not!)

Start by posting an MP3 of what you've done and a couple of folks here will probably make suggestions to improve the mix or identify issues in the recording itself. The MP3 forum is a place to do that.

The DAW is very rarely the problem - they all do the same thing, more or less.

Back