Analog Fossil - New Here

Analogosaurus

Greetings from a new member.

I'm embarrassed to admit I'm an analog dinosaur in a digital age.

My wife is a fine fingerstyle guitarist and I play standup bass to accompany her. Unfortunately, my last knowledge of digital recording was the ADAT machines that recorded on VHS tape. For reasons I can't get into, we stopped actively performing and recording around that time, and have been unable to return until now. Of course, that puts me completely out of the loop as to recording software, online distribution of songs and albums, etc. (I'll never forget the first time I tried to buy my wife a CD only to find the artist chose to release only .mp3's ...)

So I'm looking for input on how to get up to speed in modern PC-based recording. We'd need multiple tracks for guitar, vocals and bass, plus basic signal processing (chorus, delay and reverb, and possibly multitap). We'd also need decent mikes, of course, although her guitar is equipped with a fine Baggs pickup. Finally, I'd need proper data backup to protect her work. (It will be just the two of us to start with; she'll want to multitrack herself, but we will not need the simulated sounds of other instruments, neither by MIDI nor any other means.)

My fears, of course, are that (1) I'll be forced to spend hundreds or even thousands for bells and whistles just because a software company wants it that way, and (2) everything will be obsolete the second the download completes. (Already I know our operating system isn't sufficient even for ProTools' free "beginner" suite.) I cannot afford to become a slave to endless upgrades, nor to re-buy everything should my computer die.

I'd also need beginner's manuals hopefully independent of the software itself. So far, the only books I've found at my local library start with how to apply compression to a signal, while I need to know where the "play" and "record" buttons are and how to set levels.

Any help is gratefully appreciated. Thanks -- Analogosaurus

What is your budget?
What is the maximum number of tracks you would want to record at one time (how many mics)?
What are the specs on your computer? Operating system?

Most audio interfaces (you'll need one) come with a free 'limited edition' DAW (recording software). I vote for Reaper - free to download the full version, pay $60 to register after trying it. It does not become obsolete, but does get updates.

Analogasuarus - good name!

You have some options, depending on how much you want to spend, and how much complexity and portability you need.

First option for a home based, full fledged system would be to buy an interface such as a Focusrite, Tascam, Presonus etc to connect to your computer. You said that your computer won't handle Protools Free suite, but that might not quite be true. If you just need basic playback/recording without lots of plugins and effects, your requirements can be somewhat lower. I'm a fan of Reaper, because it's fully functional, upgraded and reasonably priced. You can try it out to see if it runs well on your system. Computers these days are really pretty cheap. For $5-700 or so you can get a dedicated computer with a Core I5 or I7 processor which will handle audio quite adequately. Keep your old computer for doing emails and spreadsheets. You can buy backup USB drives for under $100 all day, and a terrabyte will hold a LOT of recording time.

You might run into some latency issues with older systems when you multitrack. That's going to be related to the drivers and hardware that you run. For basic multitracking, it probably won't be a big issue. I run a Tascam 16x08 into a Core I5 Lenovo and it works well. I think I spent $450 on the Lenovo, and under $300 for the Tascam.

The second option is to get an stand alone unit like the Zoom R24 or Tascam DP24. These record to MicroSD cards, and can be used to do basic mixing and editing, record and multitrack with relative ease. If you need more, you can pull the SD card, pop it into your computer's card reader and pull off the raw WAV files (or mp3 if you set it up that way). Both will do 44.1 and 48kHz at 16 or 24 bit. Once you have the wav files in the computer, you can pull them into Reaper or Cubase to further massage the tracks.

I have the R24, and have used it for portable recording for several years. Its reliable and supports both phantom powered mics and direct in. The reverb and compression are decent, and you can mix everything down to a stereo track if you so choose. Just plug in a pair of powered monitors and start mxing. If there's a negative to the R24 its that the preamps don't have a lot of gain, so an SM57 won't drive it very well if you try to use it for something like acoustic guitar. Its fine if you use it to record an electric guitar where the signal is much higher. I prefer a good condenser mics on acoustic anyway. The Zoom also comes with a copy of Cubase LE5.

All of these options have some learning curve, but if you mastered ADAT recording on VHS tapes, you should be able to catch on to these.

As for mics, you have LOTS of options there. I've got mics from MXL, Studio Projects, AKG, Shure, Sennheiser. CAD and Rode. Lots of variety in sound, and the most expensive was $270. I like the Rode M5 for acoustic guitar ($200 for matched pair). They are basic SDC mics without the upper and lower boost that a lot of mics have. I also have an AKG P170. Similar to the Rode but with a rise in the top end which gives it some sparkle. There are lots of mics in the $250 neighborhood from Audio Technica, Rode, Lauten, AKG, etc which will do an excellent job, If you need more, you can always pop for Neumanns, Mojave, Telefunken or Manleys but that's going to cost you. Unless you're setting up a permanent studio, you probably won't be going down that route.

Good luck and have fun. Remember, it all starts with the stuff going into the microphone, so if you've got good "source material" you're way ahead of the game.

Hey there, you ol' dinosaur. Welcome.

+1 to what mjbphotos said. Just download the free-for-60-days REAPER at REAPER | Download

$60 if you decide to continue. And it has a very small footprint on your pc - I think it's like 50MB. We can help get going once it's on your pc.

Other than that, just a mic or two and an audio interface. Probably get away with $200-$300 total for everything to start.

And don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I've still got all my reel to reel machines.

Good luck and have FUN.

The second option is to get an stand alone unit like the Zoom R24

To elaborate on that a bit: the thing with Zoom R16/24 is that it's not just a standalone recorder either, it also works as a 8-in/2-out audio interface so you can use it for both recording and mixing on the computer and in standalone operation, whichever suits a particular situation the best.

Greetings from a new member.

Hi, and Welcome!

My fears, of course, are that (1) I'll be forced to spend hundreds or even thousands for bells and whistles just because a software company wants it that way, and (2) everything will be obsolete the second the download completes. (Already I know our operating system isn't sufficient even for ProTools' free "beginner" suite.) I cannot afford to become a slave to endless upgrades, nor to re-buy everything should my computer die.

Take a deep breath. It's all good. ;)

What sort of computer do you have right now?
To emulate what you could have done with a basic ADAT setup and a few rack effects units you'd need a very modest computer...It might not be as bad as you think. ;)

You will need an Audio Interface and it will need to have as many inputs as you'll want to use simultaneously.
These should be microphone inputs : XLR connection with gain knobs and phantom power.
There are plenty of modestly priced interfaces with two, four, or eight.

For software you can grab a free "trial" (fully functional, not limited) copy of Reaper.
It works on an honour system so if you like it, you can give them $60.

Do you have any equipment already outside of the computer?
Instruments, obviously, but microphones, cables, stands, headphones, monitor speakers?

+1 for what Steen is saying above. You may be very surprised to find out that your current PC will work just fine for your intended projects. Doesn't sound like any of them would be too demanding really. An audio interface with two inputs might work for you.....but 99% of beginners grow their needs in a short time........so think about an AI with 4 inputs. As mentioned previously.......many of them come with a DAW program included......that's a bonus.....but as also mentioned....REAPER is an excellent DAW and it's highly unlikely you'd ever be disappointed with it. Free to use......forever if you want to.......but just $60 is a bargain for sure. You're going to need monitors (speakers) of some sort for playback. If you already have a good stereo system just start with that..........more savings. You'll probably want a set of headphones too....for playback and for monitoring during recording. If you have a good pair now.......great. See......this is not so bad huh? If you go on-line you can find MANY complete recording packages that come with your AI.....a mic....maybe a stand......cables.....etc..etc. As I mentioned earlier........don't skimp on the number of inputs you think you'll need. My advice for you is to find something with 4.

Some have mentioned stand alone units. They have a place for sure.......but to be honest.......they really require you to record and THEN transfer tracks to a computer anyway for more expansive results. That can end up to be more steps than needed. Don't get me wrong........that might be all you need.......but I began like you and started with a Zoom R16.....then went to a Tascam DP24 and now use my DAW and PC exclusively. That was just my journey....may not be yours. As an aside........I do use my Zoom R16 as an AI and a control surface (buttons...sliders....knobs....etc....instead of just a mouse) and it's excellent for that.

The best part is......as you go along....we'll be here for you all the way!!

My remote recording rig is based around a 15 year old budget laptop running Reaper on Windows XP. It handles 24 track recording with no problems. Older versions of Reaper will even run on Windows 98 so it is unlikely that you have a computer that can't be used in the studio unless it is more than 20 years old. People say that Reaper can appear daunting to a newbie but, as you have quite a bit of experience already, you will probably find that you can easily start using it in the same way as you would use a tape machine and then gradually explore its additional features.

Hi Analogosaurus and welcome. I cannot really add much to all the excellent advise already given but perhaps a "slant" that I believe in after ten+ years of this merrygoround we call Digital Audio?

Bottom line..Get Stuck In! Assuming you can afford to buy at least one "wrong thing" get an AI and Reaper* and give it all a do.

You mention "multitracking"? This can be a confusing term. To the advanced people here is means recording several instruments/musicians simultaneously with several microphones and usually some DI input. A 4 piece guitar band and singer could then easily use 12 separate tracks and 6 of those just on the drum kit!

The other meaning is that of recording one or two tracks at a time then adding more and more. For that you just need a two input AI becuase the DAW can support an almost infinite number of audio tracks the limit being set by the grunt of the computer but even quite a low spec laptop can run 20 tracks and I mean a 2G 2core processor and Win 7!

So, first job, download and save Reaper then install it. In there you will find a demo file of a multitrack recording. I bet your old PC will play it.

Once you have some experience with Reaper and an AI you might find you need to upgrade the latter? Par for the course I fear but then even if you do upgrade to a multitrack interface the old one will still do duty for one of you? You only need two outputs to drive monitors and mix a zillion tracks..Ooo! Monitors! TOTALLY other bag of worms that be!

BTW, where in the world are you?

*As Mike B said, Reaper is constantly keeping up and is very unlikely to ever be made redundant no matter WHAT Ms do to W10!

Dave.

Sorry I'm late replying. Many thanks for your responses! I have a lot to explore and think about now. Special thanks for the reassurance re not having to overspend. Will check out the gear recommended and consult with my wife, then post further. Thanks -- Analogosaurus

Sorry I'm late replying. Many thanks for your responses! I have a lot to explore and think about now. Special thanks for the reassurance re not having to overspend. Will check out the gear recommended and consult with my wife, then post further. Thanks -- Analogosaurus

Noooooooo... whatever you do, don't consult with your wife! Just do it. :D

Back