Amount of time on memory card

tomfarmer

I'm new to DP-24 recording. The memory card that came with the work station had a handful of hours on it (I don't remember how many), but the 32GB memory card I bought says 100:39 in the 'Remain' indicator display. Can the card actually have one hundred hours of time available? That seems like a lot.

Thanks!

One track of 24 bit 48kHz is about half a gigabyte per hour.

Maybe the display is minutes:seconds at 24 tracks. That would be 12GB per hour so 100 minutes sounds about right for a 32GB card with some recordings on it.

According to the Tascam manual, the reading is in Hours:Minutes.

I've used the Zoom R24 for live recording. At 44K/16 bit, I get 6 straight hours of 8 channel recording or a single 16GB SD card. Kicking it to 24bit drops it to 4 hours. With 32GB cards, I get 12 or 8 hours depending on the bit depth. I don't bother going to 48K for the live jam sessions.

If you look at it in "track hours", a 32GB card should hold about 96 hours of single track audio at 44.1K and 16bit. So the 100 is probably the remaining "track hours". Divide that by the number of tracks you use, and you get the recording time for a session.

Thanks for responding.

But no, the manual says the display is "hours:minutes" of available recording time. And no, there is nothing recorded on the card yet.

FYI most DAWs in my experience also show 'remaining time' for the hard drive.

Samplitude also gives the option to record directly to ram. Not sure why you would want to do that?

Dave.

Back