Am I going crazy? Can't record anymore!

Kennytonia

There’s something wrong with all my gear! Recently, all of my guitars started sounding thin, weak, muddy, tinny, and super hummy. You can hear this nasty interference in the background and if you turn the amp/interface loud enough you can subtlety hear a radio station. WTF

The issues are present with both my humbucking and single coil guitars, but definitely more noticeable with the single coils. I’ve tried different guitars, basses, cables, interfaces, amps, settings, as well as moving to different rooms. I have short sound files to show what I mean. Listen closely to how awfully weak and thin the guitar sounds as well as the hum/interference on the 2nd snippet (will need headphones):

Before the problem started: before by WATE Kenny | Free Listening on SoundCloud
After the problem started: after by WATE Kenny | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I feel like the problem isn't with the guitars, interface, or computer. I'm wondering if it might be due to RFI, EMI, or a problem with the grounding of my home. I keep hearing nasty hum, interference, crackling, static, buzzing, and sometimes a sand/wind noise when i pluck lower strings. I haven’t been able to record for months because of this, so if anyone knows anything, it would be more than appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
I can't hear any hum or other noise on that second clip (out of HP laptop on K92s) but that is probably just me!

There is a big spike on a RTA at about 150Hz. Are you on 50 or 60Hz mains?

BUT (and this is a general point posters!) When posting samples for NOISE diagnosis we want JUST the noise! A second or three at -20dBfs for calibration then shut TFup.

It is also best to send a .wav, un'ucked by lossy encoders but that would have to be a link to the file as NR cannot use .wav as attachments, even tiny ones..WHY I do not know.

Dave.

Attachments

• Spectrumkens noise.png
    Spectrumkens noise.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 9
Are you milking an amp for your guitars ? I had a practice amp once that would pick up a local station if i held the metal part of the guitar cable with my fingers. Don't know if it was the amp or cheap cable. ms

Far more common than you'd think. Not so bad now AM radio is less common, but RF can get in and do very strange things. Think back to the days of WW2, and cats whisker radios (google it) - you can demodulate RF with very simple electronics, and our gear is full of components that can do it - add a few tarnished connectors, dry joints and faulty filtering and add an antenna - a bit of coax with a coil on the end, known as a pickup, and that AM oldies station down the road can come in loud and very clear. Strats, for example are rather good at receiving loop systems meant for the hard of hearing folk!

Recently, all of my guitars started sounding thin, weak, muddy, tinny, and super hummy.

I haven’t been able to record for months because of this....!

So is it recent...or months?
I mean....if it's months...have you attempted to find the issue, or did you just abandon the rig?
What have you done so far to try track down the problem...?...connections, signal chain, etc., etc...?

I would bet it's a singular cause...and it may very well turn out to be something "dumb", maybe something overlooked or accidental.

Back