To All Piano Players

Do you mean the D-flat cord?

D flat major is: D-flat, F and A-flat.
D flat minor is: D-flat, E and A-flat.

If you mean the D flat note, it is the black key between C and D.

To be precise, Db minor contains an Fb, not an E.

Looks the same on your keyboard, but not on paper.

Between C and D. A flat lowers a note one half-step (next closest piano key downward), while a sharp raises it. So Db is one piano key lower than D.

This note is enharmonically equivalent to (sounds the same as) C#. If you look at the keys, you will see why this is so.

Skysaw said:
Between C and D. A flat lowers a note one half-step (next closest piano key downward), while a sharp raises it. So Db is one piano key lower than D.

This note is enharmonically equivalent to (sounds the same as) C#. If you look at the keys, you will see why this is so.

thank you so much

Not confusing if you just remember that ALL diminished, minor, major, and augmented chords based on Db, D, or D# contain the letters D, F, and A. That's just the way tertian harmony works.

Db, Fb, Abb
Db, Fb, Ab
Db, F, Ab
Db, F, A

D, F, Ab
D, F, A
D, F#, A
D, F#, A#

D#, F#, A
D#, F#, A#
D#, F##, A#
D#, F##, A##

Isn't there some funky 'x' type symbol for ##? It's been awhile since I've seen one. I took classical piano from when I was ~9 until I was about 17, but quit because I sucked at playing classical music. But I did get pretty good at music theory and coming up with piano parts for folky music.

Skysaw said:
Not confusing if you just remember that ALL diminished, minor, major, and augmented chords based on Db, D, or D# contain the letters D, F, and A. That's just the way tertian harmony works.

Db, Fb, Abb
Db, Fb, Ab
Db, F, Ab
Db, F, A

D, F, Ab
D, F, A
D, F#, A
D, F#, A#

D#, F#, A
D#, F#, A#
D#, F##, A#
D#, F##, A##

Yes, a double-sharp has a x-like symbol, usually a little squat looking, with tiny squares on the tips of the lines. There is another version of the symbol which has dots between the lines, but I've always hated that one, so I don't remember exactly what it looks like.

I figured ## would be more understandable than x on the forum.

wow...

this group never ceases to amaze me. From mixing tutorials to music theory instruction...can someone tell me what I am paying 40 dollars a month for 30 minute piano lessons that teach...well...nothing?!

Anyhow, has anyone ever entertained having a branch of the forum dedicated to theory. I know this may be a bit farfetched but I have run into many members here who seem to have a knack for theory in lamens terms. And a lot of the newbs need some theory musically to truly understand mixing and what not just sounds good to the ear but is truly proper for recording purposes.

-Humble-

Skysaw, I was just looking at a piano and I dont see a black key between C and D..

Do any of ya'll know if there's some kind of picture of a piano with all the notes labeled down?

The only places where there is no black key between the whites is between B-C and E-F. There are two black keys close together then 3 black keys close together. The first of the two close together is the D flat.

All the notes within one octave are;

A, Bd (Flat), B, C, Dd, D, Ed, E, F, Gd, G, Ad

OR

A, A#(Sharp), B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#

Note that B doesn't have a sharp and C doesn't have a flat, and E & F are similar to B & C in that regard. In other words, the white B and C keys are together, and similarly for E and F.

:cool:

Tis a pleasure......and not bad for someone with over 40 yrs of guitar playing behind them, who can't play a note (well almost) on a piano:D

:cool:

To be precise, Db minor contains an Fb, not an E.

It's also confusing me at the first time. And my brother (he's violin teacher) kept telling me the same thing. C# is NOT the same as Db. And he showed me how to play that in violin...

:o I din't get it tought :D

Back