all of my recordings are coming out a half step higher than they should.

TwinTurbskies

Title says it all. The interface that I'm using is the m-audio m-track 8x4m. It's connected via a usb cable to my Windows 10 machine running Audacity. As per the instructions for the interface, I opened the sound control panel, went to the recording tab, and selected my interface as the default device. From there, I opened properties, clicked the advanced tab, and selected 2-channel, 24bit, 48000 hz studio quality as my default format. I unchecked both boxes under exclusive mode, and clicked ok on all boxes. I opened audacity and was able to monitor and record my sound. The issue is that all of my recordings were a half step up in pitch, whether it was a guitar or a keyboard.

I did some digging and found out that it is commonly a sample/project rate issue. For the record, Audacity started every session with 44100 hz as the project rate. I noticed this, and changed it to match my default format as mentioned above, 48000 hz. This had no change in the recording sound pitch.

Any advice or recommendation is welcomed.
I am a recording noob 100%, so let me know if you need more information.

This is likely due to the interface running at 44.1k and the software being set to 48k, and the two not communicating properly. The audio is actually 44.1k but is flagged as 48k, so it plays a bit fast. I know in Sound Forge there's an option to change the file sample rate without resampling, which solves it, though you then have 44.1k audio that you may need to resample to 48k to use in a 48k project. I don't know if Audacity has that function, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Generally speaking, better recording software (e.g. an actual DAW like Reaper rather than an editor like Audacity) usually avoids this problem because it makes the interface sample frequency match the project's settings. You might want to try Reaper. There is enough of a difference between Reaper and Audacity that it may make your life a lot easier in the long run, after you learn how to use it.

I'm not sure Audacity can use the ASIO drivers that come with most decent interfaces. That could be part of the problem. Why not try the software that came with your interface, Pro Tools First or Ableton Live Lite?

Thank you VERY much for replying.
The instructions told me to set my default format to 48k, so I'd think it'd be running at 48k. Something that I noticed however, was when I went back into the properties to check it, it remained at 44.1k. That could be the source of my issue... The interface is running at 48k, but my computer won't allow me to change it to 48k. I'll investigate now. I shall return!

I found the issue, and it's WAY more simple than I ever could have imagined. When I was in the properties, I needed to change the default format from 44.1k to 48k. I was just hitting ok, and not apply. I hit apply, and I was able to make it work, and my pitches were correct. durrr. So to anybody in my position, make sure you check "apply" when changing from 44.1k to 48k. This was a bonehead mistake, but I got it handled. Thank you very much bouldersoundguy!

You might consider moving away from Audacity and use one of the DAW programs that came with your interface. ProTools or Ableton. As BSG mentioned, Audacity doesn't use the ASIO driver.

Back