All Mics sound same in YouTube videos

NaturalRise

Hi,

I'm facing a weird issue. Whenever I watch youtube videos of mic comparison / mic review, they all sound same to my ears (sound of different mics). There is no difference at all (may be little bit).

I watched so many videos so far, initially I had impression that may be those mics were bad but it happens with every video, how is it possible?

I use regular multimedia headphones and they are of good quality..
Now someone might say these multimedia headphones are the cause but the fact is while recording one uses monitor headphones but while watching YouTube, majority of the people use their day to day regular headphones or some even use iphone earbuds.
Does it make sense?

Is it possible, their is some windows setting which is causing this issue?

Your help is much needed.

Last edited:
There is no difference at all (may be little bit).

Perhaps a sound 'enhancer' is active in the background?

What difference are you looking for? Microphones are designed to more or less accurately reproduce a source as best it can. If the source is the same , then what differences are you listening for? Most people can identify a high boost or flat version of the same microphone. Check your equipment. Actuate the pad and bass roll off on your microphones. Train your listening skills to notice the difference. Understand the microphones reaction. What can it take in volume or closeness, a spec known as Max SPL can help with this. Notice phantom power how that energizes the line. Not unlike active electrics in a guitar. Proximity effect on some models is negated completely. From the performers point of view the microphones can be very different in this respect. Self noise is a factor, self noise is also character. Take the pad off, and pump the gain. With no source the microphones can sound very different humming at idle.

Perhaps a sound 'enhancer' is active in the background?

What difference are you looking for? Microphones are designed to more or less accurately reproduce a source as best it can. If the source is the same , then what differences are you listening for? Most people can identify a high boost or flat version of the same microphone. Check your equipment. Actuate the pad and bass roll off on your microphones. Train your listening skills to notice the difference. Understand the microphones reaction. What can it take in volume or closeness, a spec known as Max SPL can help with this. Notice phantom power how that energizes the line. Not unlike active electrics in a guitar. Proximity effect on some models is negated completely. From the performers point of view the microphones can be very different in this respect. Self noise is a factor, self noise is also character. Take the pad off, and pump the gain. With no source the microphones can sound very different humming at idle.

I'm not taking about what I listen to in my monitor headphones when I record. I'm talking about when I watch the reviews about Mics on youtube.

When I watch the comparison of 2 different mics on youtube they all sounds same to my ears. Its not about my ears, I can hear the difference :)

Its about the sound which is coming in my headphones (which I'm listening to) that very sound is same when I listen to audio recorded via different mics.

for ex: audio recorded through these all mics sound same, when I watch youtube videos:

Electro Voice RE320
Audio Technica BP40

Aston Origin
rode nt1

Rode Podcast
Procaster

Sennheiser MKE600
Sennheiser 416

You said right:
"Perhaps a sound 'enhancer' is active in the background?"

Audio enhancer is disabled.
I guess There is some issue with windows 10 settings. Is there any setting which can cause the issue? Do you know?

If I understand correctly, you are watching a YT video in which they are comparing mikes, and as you listen to this video, you are not able to hear the differences between them.

If that is the case, then I can think of three possible causes:

1 The equipment that you are listening through is not good enough to reveal the differences
2 The YT treatment of the video in its uploading (then replaying) has degraded the audio so that the differences are blurred
3 Your own hearing may be compromised to some extent, or your own capacity to hear the differences may not be fully developed.

Give us the youtube links so we can check we can hear them too.
...................and........tell us what you're playback devices are.......what brand and model headphone....and what brand and model speakers. You may not think so........but trying to hear subtle differences on less than decent speakers and headphones IS difficult.

YouTube compresses the snot out of the uploaded video file and I believe the audio is also compressed (again) if you are not watching the video in HD. Make sure you are watching at the highest resolution available.

A link example would be good.

But, yes, mic differences can be quite subtle and some tests/voices/instruments are not going to really expose the differences, especially if the recording environment is not ideal.

your own capacity to hear the differences may not be fully developed

mic differences can be quite subtle and some tests/voices/instruments are not going to really expose the differences

Putting these two points together may be useful. Very rarely have I been able to definitively tell the differences between mics and it's only now, having been recording on multitracks for 28 years that I can actively hear differences in certain mics and am now quite deliberate in choosing mics for specific jobs. If I want bright, dark, quite, expansive, tight, open etc, I know which mics to go for.
I might have a hard time listening to a mic shootout video and being able to tell anything about the mic just from the video. I think I'd honestly have to record with them through my stuff and pay attention to the sounds coming in.
When I listen to songs, I couldn't tell what kind of mic or pre~amp was used from song to song or if the same one was used on which songs.

Back