Advice on Upgrading My Home Studio

Red_Dog

Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my (very basic!) home studio, here's what I have so far:

- macbook (w/garageband '09)
- pod XT floor unit
- SM58 and SM57 (from live gigs)

I'm recording electric guitar through the POD directly into the microphone jack of the macbook. The results have been decent for getting a guitar sound, but I'm having trouble with:

- recording vocals
- recording more than one track at once (ie, vocal and guitar)
- recording something acoustically (voice, acoustic guitar, even mic'ing an amp)

Right now I'm mainly making instructional videos for my new blog (for an example vid check out youtube video /watch?v=e3ma7BPHrcc). In future I'd like to be able to conduct video interviews, record small live performances (acoustic etc...), and eventually record multiple instruments for an album.

Any advice would be great!

Steve

Down load Reaper as your DAW and then get an interface with as many inputs/outputs you'll need to record as many sources at one time.

Down load Reaper as your DAW and then get an interface with as many inputs/outputs you'll need to record as many sources at one time.

Hi moresound,

Thanks for the advice. I checked out some Reaper reviews, it looks really good for what I need - nice price and plenty of room for expansion. It looks like a pretty steep learning curve, at least at the beginning (no default track EQs, for example), but I guess that may not be a bad thing.

What interface would you recommend? I've heard of the M-Box.

Thanks again,

Steve

Hi moresound,

Thanks for the advice. I checked out some Reaper reviews, it looks really good for what I need - nice price and plenty of room for expansion. It looks like a pretty steep learning curve, at least at the beginning (no default track EQs, for example), but I guess that may not be a bad thing.

What interface would you recommend? I've heard of the M-Box.

Thanks again,

Steve

I'm not moresound, but I recommend anything Tascam.
I'll be picking up a Tascam US1800 soon.
It looks really sweet (8 xlr ins) and comes with cubase

do you have any experience with other tascam interfaces?

i'm not trying to be a dick but people on here often recommend what 'looks' good.

do you have any experience with other tascam interfaces?

i'm not trying to be a dick but people on here often recommend what 'looks' good.

I have a Tascam DP008 that is wonderful.
And a close friend of mine has a Tascam US600 that he uses with cubase le 4 and it's sound awesome. crystal clear. He also has a tascam mixer. I've used a US100 in the past with an acoustic into audacity and it too had awesome results.

I've never had any problems from Tascam, and have used a number of their products which is why I feel comfortable buying from them and recommending them.

I dont think the Reaper learning curve is any worse than Cubase or ProTools... I wouldn't worry about that. You definitely need a decent interface, stop using a pc sound card, those are the worst - They contain the best A/D converters 42 cents can buy!

Back