Advice On My Mix

nickjones1

Hello!

I recently posted my introduction on the "Newbies" forum! In that post, I explained that I just purchased ProTools a few days ago to try my hand at mixing and eventually recording my own stuff. I've recorded 10 songs at a studio with my band and obviously had a producer who mixed and mastered everything, but I've got the summer off so I figured why not try my hand at it. I downloaded a stem to try and practice on and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on stuff I could do differently. I'm getting some weirdness on the vocals (sounds like clipping maybe?) Here's the link if anyone wants to check it out!

Attachments

• Practice Mix 1_3.mp3
    8.3 MB · Views: 17
Umm, not even going to try an listen to that. It's nothing but clipping. I don't know what you did, but you need to dial EVERYTHING back so there's peaks below -6dB on the master/stereo out. Then, you can just bounce to MP3 and let that step normalize it.

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 10.52.53 PM.png

Another Mix

Here's another mix I've worked on since my last post. This one shouldn't have any clipping as the other one did. Again, I've never really worked on any kind of mixing/recording before other than in a professional studio so I appreciate any criticism.

Attachments

• Practice Mix 2.mp3
    9.8 MB · Views: 6
Lots better.

Not my kind of music, but it reminds me of a local guy, Hamilton Loomis, who I like.

The imaging is off for my ear, with the bass and vocal seeming to be a bit off to the left. Maybe that was your intention. (Of course, my right is a little deficient, so I have to try and account for that, but still...)

Back