advice on equipment

napalm229

Hi guys, thanks for the help that I have gotten so far, this site is great.

Wasn't sure if I should post this here, or in the equipment forums, but here goes, I need advice on what models/ makes of the following equipment to buy:

1) I need a good vocal preamp, versatile. Effects are nice, but I don't plan on using a lot of that stuff.

2) I need advice on a good EQ to buy, if it matters, I am going to be recording prog and speed metal and so I think I will need something like a 16 to 32 band EQ because of the manipulation that I will need to do with the low mid frequencies. Quality is what I am looking for over price, but of course I don't want to just throw money at something, if I get by cheaper, GREAT.

I am set with the DAW and the monitors that I need already, just trying to get some of the loose ends together before I start, your advice has been invaluable so far, I really appreciate all the help.

napalm229

napalm229 said:
2) I need advice on a good EQ to buy, if it matters, I am going to be recording prog and speed metal and so I think I will need something like a 16 to 32 band EQ because of the manipulation that I will need to do with the low mid frequencies. Quality is what I am looking for over price, but of course I don't want to just throw money at something, if I get by cheaper, GREAT.

In case you didn't pick it up from Track Rat, you don't want a graphic EQ, you want a parametric EQ which will be 4 bands, not 32. Try to read up on the difference.

Yo Flaming Jelly:}

You will need FX if you want your vocals to have ambience. Not too many folks in the big time record without FX--some couldn't record without it.

The Grace 101 mic pre is a good one and it has dropped in price. But, it is only a one channel--never fear--Grace makes a bigger model but, as you would expect, it costs MORE.

TAPE OP, A FREE publication, reviews many mic pres each issue; you might want to get them on the net and subscribe.

As for EQ, you really don't want to overdo EQ unless you are creating some effect that your ears like. But, EQ can also help clear up or clear out an overpowering track trying to dominate the mix.

Ahh, there's so much fun recording and so much gear. Enjoy,

Green Hornet :eek: :D :) :cool: :D

Thanks a lot guys, that will help a lot....any other suggestions are welcome, it looks as if I am going to have to ebay it again, so I will have some time to look....while I was asking, anyone have advice on a compressor/ limiter? I guess the company that makes the RNP would be good to start, but any other suggestions will be appreciated.

You guys rock!
napalm

Yo Na-fuego caliente:

I bought a RNC and love its simplicity. It has a button to push that gives you a compression best set-up; however, you can still twiddle the dials if you don't like it. For the $$, RNC or an RNP is a good buy.

Vespa Verde

Green Hornet :D :D :rolleyes:

Back