Adding XLR Mic Inputs To Interface

ChrisU

Hello,

My main question is how do you add XLR mic inputs to your existing audio interface?

I'm very new to recording and I recently bought a TASCAM US-1800, which, with 8 XLR inputs, is great for recording guitars/vocals etc. But I am also a drummer and will eventually want to start recording my set. I know that there are many micing techniques that can capture a kit with a minimal amount of microphones, but how could I possibly do a mic setup to satisfy my kit of 1 snare, 1 bass, 4 toms, and surrounding cymbals and effects pieces? Let's say I want double mic each drum (top and bottom heads) and use 4 overheads, so that would require at least 16 mics, double of what my US-1800 can handle!

I did watch a video of someone connecting a PreSonus DigiMax D8 to a TASCAM interface. But if the DigiMax can only be connected via the interface, then are the inputs on the back of the interface the maximum amount of inputs possible?

I have read that you cannot add 2 interfaces together. I also have the PreSonus AudioBox USB which has 2 mic inputs which could get me to 10 altogether but evidently it's not possible. Could a mixer do it? But I have read that some mixers are misleading and can only record 2 tracks at a time. Or do I need a mic preamp? And if I add any of these devices, how would I connect it to my current setup of interface to USB on my computer?

Just out of curiosity, say Terry Bozzio was recording and wanted to double mic every drum. Is that even possible? Is there any device out there that can handle that many mics at one time?

I really appreciate any input or answers! I'm on an incredibly small budget, sort of buying these things paycheck to paycheck while in college (TASCAM US-1800, 2 SM57's, AT2020, Alesis Elevate 3 monitors, Studio One 2).

Thanks!
Chris

To be honest, I think you should keep things simple.

First up, you don't have 16 mics. There are techniques to get decent drum sound from 4 mics. Is there a reason you would not want to at least try that before you start spending cash that you admittedly don't have? Even now, you would need to get a couple of condensers for the overheads, and something for the kick.

Yes, you could connect separate mic preamps to the line inputs of the Tascam. That would give another 6 channels. More cash.

You could sell the Tascam, and get 2 x Echo Audiofire Pre 8 interfaces (about $600 each) which you can daisychain to get 16 channels. More cash.

You can get still higher hardware channel counts, but again... more cash.

Have you heard compelling evidence of the benefit of double microphones?

I would strongly advise you to simply get a few more mics and completely explore the possibilities of what you have before you commit lots more money.

Last edited:
I have read that you cannot add 2 interfaces together.

I wouldn't suggest going back to whatever site/book you read that from... I've got a Saffire 56, a Saffire 40, and an Mbox Pro all hooked together giving me 18 simultaneous inputs. xD

Normally, you'd hook two interfaces together through ADAT to give you the extra 8 channels of audio you need. Seeing as the US-1800 only has SPDIF and 6 line inputs, you could buy 6 stand-alone preamps and a two-channel interface hooked up through the SPDIF cables. That'd give you 16 inputs.

I'm not entirely sure why you'd want to double mic toms though... I mean, I suppose you could, but you can get a GREAT tom sound just using one. The only things I might suggest double micing would be snare (top, bottom) and kick (in, out). Then just stereo overhead for the rest of the kit. But whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

Hello,

My main question is how do you add XLR mic inputs to your existing audio interface?

I'm very new to recording and I recently bought a TASCAM US-1800, which, with 8 XLR inputs, is great for recording guitars/vocals etc. But I am also a drummer and will eventually want to start recording my set. I know that there are many micing techniques that can capture a kit with a minimal amount of microphones, but how could I possibly do a mic setup to satisfy my kit of 1 snare, 1 bass, 4 toms, and surrounding cymbals and effects pieces? Let's say I want double mic each drum (top and bottom heads) and use 4 overheads, so that would require at least 16 mics, double of what my US-1800 can handle!

I did watch a video of someone connecting a PreSonus DigiMax D8 to a TASCAM interface. But if the DigiMax can only be connected via the interface, then are the inputs on the back of the interface the maximum amount of inputs possible?

I have read that you cannot add 2 interfaces together. I also have the PreSonus AudioBox USB which has 2 mic inputs which could get me to 10 altogether but evidently it's not possible. Could a mixer do it? But I have read that some mixers are misleading and can only record 2 tracks at a time. Or do I need a mic preamp? And if I add any of these devices, how would I connect it to my current setup of interface to USB on my computer?

Just out of curiosity, say Terry Bozzio was recording and wanted to double mic every drum. Is that even possible? Is there any device out there that can handle that many mics at one time?

I really appreciate any input or answers! I'm on an incredibly small budget, sort of buying these things paycheck to paycheck while in college (TASCAM US-1800, 2 SM57's, AT2020, Alesis Elevate 3 monitors, Studio One 2).

Thanks!
Chris

Trust me, it is not in your best interest to try double micing anything. The 1800 is completely capable of recording your kit as it is. Learn what you have first is my advice.

Well, with the US-1800 you can add four more inputs by getting four channels of mic pre amp and feeding them into the line level input. Two more can be arranged by using the digital inputs for something suitable.

To go beyond that you're likely into a level of expenditure (and aggro) that's not really compatible with your last paragraph about a tight budget. You're also likely getting into the realms of Firewire (being phased out and hard to find for a computer) or Thunderbolt (the promised future but far from common now).

Yes, there are mixers that can handle high channel counts but they are NOT the cheapies. The basic Behringers and so on may have 16 mic inputs but they only have the main stereo output on the USB feed to the computer. The cheapest decent multichannel mixer I know is the Presonus Studiolive (digital) or the Allen and Heath Zed R16. I can do up to 32 tracks using a Yamaha DM1000 with the right expansion cards--but sit down before you check the price. I only have it because I was using it professionally for live work before I retired.

The other thing I'd have to say is that, as the number of mics in any space goes up so does the complexity. Even though I've been doing it for many years, high channel counts in a home environment (as opposed to large studio with professional acoustic treatment) is sweaty palms time. There aren't many home rooms (as in I've never seen any) that can have lots of open mics without a lot of crosstalk and phase issues.

Basically, with money you can have pretty much as many channels as you want--but you should question how many you really want/need.

I completely agree with all the others. The 1800 should be all you need to record a drumkit. But, experimentation is the lifeblood of audio so the cheapest, quality way to add 4 more mic tracks would be a mixer such as the A&H zed10. Yup, it is a 2 bus mixer but you can pull a cunning stunt with the AUX and FX outs that gives you 4 discrete outputs.

Another quality mixer brand is Soundcraft but I don't know if you can pull the same trick with those.

And no, FFS you do NOT need 16 mics! Who do you think you are? Phil Spector? Heh.

Dave.

To answer the original question; I had a look at your interface which has 8XLR, 2Instrument, 4Line and an S/PDIF inputs which all in all adds up to 16, so it can be done.

Instrument inputs can be swapped over to line inputs on your particular model (I'm reading the manual, I don't own one) so you just need 6 good quality mic pre amps with a line level output. and One good (stereo) preamp with S/PDIF output giving you your total but that I really wouldn't suggest dropping that sorta cash just to mic up 16 parts of a drum kit. I know its tempting to just mic everything, especially since you are a drummer you're going to want nothing but the best sound for your kit, But take it from the rest of the guys and me, Drums are tough to get right and the more mics you add the more problems you'll probably run into, especially top and bottom mics. for instance, have you thought about the possible phase issues on the toms? The money spent on all those mics an pre's would be much wiser spent on the room because 99% of a drum kit is its sound in the room not the sound of the close mic'd instrumets. If I was in your shoes I'd quickly opt for two overheads, a kick, snare top and bottom, and a mono room mic.

I want double mic each drum (top and bottom heads) and use 4 overheads,
Seriously? Why would you ever want to do that? 4 overheads is completely un-necessarry, and so is double micing each drum. More is not better in this case, and the phase issues you're going to have to deal with will be ridiculous, even for someone with experience micing drums.

Go for 2 overheads, which is what 99.99999% of drummers do. Mic each drum once if you need to, and if you can't get a good drum sound with that, then your problem isn't in the amount of mics. The problem at that point, would be in the tuning of the drums and/or mic placement.

Another quality mixer brand is Soundcraft but I don't know if you can pull the same trick with those.

It's more a matter of model than brand. Large consoles made for multitrack recording could put out dozens of discrete signals, including channel direct outputs, aux sends and group sends. My little GB2R has 16 channels, all with direct outputs. That would be more than enough to feed the 8 line inputs of the US1800 without using the main out or any aux sends.

But eight inputs should be enough. Sometimes I go to nine if I double mic the snare.

Well thank you everyone for all the replies! That cleared things up for me, just connect separate preamps to the line inputs for more mics. Got it. I mostly just wanted to know how to out of curiosity, but yes, as someone mentioned, I also want the best possible sound out of my kit as possible, and I figure that micing every possible angle around the drums would accomplish that, although most of you seem against it haha. With the high cost of all those preamps and mics that I have yet to get, I'm sure I'll only be utilizing the TASCAM's own 8 XLR's anyway.

Thanks again!
Chris

Back