Adding a compressor/noise gate, question about phantom power

MrFiggityFigs

Ok, so currently my wife has an AT2020(XLR) feeding into a Behringer X1622USB, she wants to add a gate/compressor, I'm looking at the Dbx 266XS.

From what I've read the 266xs, won't pass the phantom power through from the Berry, so Long & McQuade suggested an Apex Phantom Power supply (APP2) as the berry doesn't have a Mix input.

So my wiring would be:

AT2020 - APP2 - 266XS - Berry with phantom power off on the Berry. Or would I "need" a pre-amp before the 266XS (as I've been reading on a few forums)? We'll be using XLR cables through the whole chain. In the end the mixer setup only does balancing, we have no amplification as the Berry outs via USB to a computer for recording.

I'm hoping to not need a pre-amp.

Thanks

You absolutely need the preamp. Not just for phantom, but to bring the mic signal to line level. One with an insert if you're going to use the compressor in line with the signal.

And if you're recording to a computer, I'd highly recommend scrapping the whole idea and compressing in the box when you can do it in the context of the mix... You can't "undo" having a compressor on your input signal...

Nope. The dbx is line level, the mic needs the preamp (in the mixer -or other external preamp) to be brought up to line level.
The Behringer looks to have four ch. inserts. That's where you patch stuff like the comps and gates in.

The mixer has channel inserts. Get an insert cable.

Mic plugs into the mixer, the compressor plugs into the channel insert for the channel the mic is plugged into, using an insert cable.

No matter how you decide to do it, the signal path needs to be mic->preamp with phantom->compressor.

... And if you're recording to a computer, I'd highly recommend scrapping the whole idea and compressing in the box when you can do it in the context of the mix... You can't "undo" having a compressor on your input signal...
Good catch, blew right by me.
If 'mixer just for balancing' means some sort of sub mix going to the recorder and part of that is it needs the dBx fine. For most basic tracking'?, see above. (Even more so with 'gates.

I was going to ask where the insert was... heh DOH! I googled it, totally forgot about the back of the mixer. So could I get away with getting an insert cable and using the 266xs?

We're doing a pod cast sorta deal, not music. the 266xs will primarily be used as a noise gate to remove/reduce background noise, such as computer fans. It won't be compressing much.. other than to prevent "rip head phone users".

Using the 266xs live on inserts should be fine for what you're doing. It'll take some adjustments of the controls to get it right. You may want to set the compressor as a sort of limiter, high ratio and high threshold so it stops the bigger peaks.

Back