Acoustic recording

Sounds about what I'd expect on my iPhone. For this kind of stuff I prefer to keep the dynamic range. It is one guitar so I'd keep it simple vs compress the hell out of it. A light touch with multi-band compression and light on the mastering dynamics. While I get the phone is the new boom box, few would be listening to this sort of thing on phone speakers.

Audacity has compression, not fancy multiband, but you really don't have lots of bands you need to keep separate.

One thing you might check is the phase of your signals. If you get the phase off between the two mics, then add them together for a mono signal, you'll get weird cancellations. Try flipping polarity on one channel and see if it sounds better on the phone. I had that issue some years ago, recording a jazz guitarist. I had two mics, one got bumped and when the two were added together it sounded really bad. I flipped polarity and all was good!

All phones are different, depending on the type of speaker element they use, but I've seen measurements of I-phones and the response is from about 3-400Hz to about 10kHz, with numerous peaks and valleys. Anything from 300Hz is down by 20-50dB.

Audacity has compression, not fancy multiband, but you really don't have lots of bands you need to keep separate.

One thing you might check is the phase of your signals. If you get the phase off between the two mics, then add them together for a mono signal, you'll get weird cancellations. Try flipping polarity on one channel and see if it sounds better on the phone. I had that issue some years ago, recording a jazz guitarist. I had two mics, one got bumped and when the two were added together it sounded really bad. I flipped polarity and all was good!

Sorry. How do I flip polarity ?

Back