Acoustic Guitar and Vocals

JerryDena

My friend has sent me a minidisc with the music to a song we've written. Now I need to record the acoustic guitar and vocals. I do own a minidisc recorder and a computer, but I don't own any mics, mixing software, etc. What do I need to accomplish my goal of mixing my vocals and acoustic guitar with the rest of the music I've been sent on minidisc?

You'll need one or two mics, cable, preamps for the mics and a computer soundcard that's okay, recording software that can handle the minidisc file format, and the cabling to get the minidisc recording into your computer.

Minidisk recording resolution isn't very high, isn't top-notch, by the way. If you're gonna hafta buy a lot of gear to get this thing off the ground, both you and your friend might consider getting beyond minidisk recording and into higher-quality computer recording.

Jerry,

First of all, you need some kind of recording software. I would suggest n-track, since it is simple, effective and cheap FASoft Web Site .
When you have the recording software, record the minidisk track into a wave file. You can do it by simply plugging a 1/8"-1/8" cable from the MD's line output into the computer's line input.
Now you have the backing track, on which you can add you guitar and vocals.
You will need a microphone. While a cheap dynamic microphone may certainly be enough for your voice, yuo simply cannot get a decent accoustic guitar tone with one. Believe me, I've tried and keep trying ;) , so I guess you should get a general purpouse condenser, that should be enough for all your needs.
You will also need a mic pre-amp, in order to get the mic signal into your computer (The mic level is way too low, and need to be brought up to line level). You can often find mic/mic preamp combos that you can buy for about 200$ in the US.

Good luck!

Oren

..here's another thought.... if the acoustic you're playing has built-in pickups, you may not need the mic. Depending on how hot the output is, you may be able to record rite into the line-in jack of your computer. It's not necessarily the best way, but you should still be able to get a decent recording out of it.

Just to add to Seanmorse's note - even if your guitar's output is not compatible with your card's line input, you can run it through a direct box (about 25$ for a cheap one) into a mic pre-amp. That should be more then enough for your needs.

Oren

Back