Absolute Beginner

To the OP, another tremendous book when you are starting out is Guerrilla Home Recording by Karl Coryat.

Just remember you will need a PCI soundcard or a standalone interface, these range in price so set a budget. You will also need monitors.

Don't be put off by the initial steep learning curve and jump in.

:)

These forums could be so much more informative if someone just took the good information out from between the useless banter, lol

It's what sets HR apart from all other forums!

Have you been on others that don't allow words like sh!t -(see force of habit)- or not to be able to say hello to an old internet buddy etc.?
They are sad, sad forms.

All the info is here. With a few points of comic relief. Sure makes for a better day of reading and info gathering/spreading.

It's what sets HR apart from all other forums!

Have you been on others that don't allow words like sh!t -(see force of habit)- or not to be able to say hello to an old internet buddy etc.?
They are sad, sad forms.

All the info is here. With a few points of comic relief. Sure makes for a better day of reading and info gathering/spreading.

That is very true. These forums are alot of fun. Half the reason why they can be so addicting!

These forums could be so much more informative if someone just took the good information out from between the useless banter, lol

Any forum worth its salt will always troll the OP for awhile before getting down to the Q&A. Just sayin'. :p

Yeah, I notice that you don't sleep much. :eek: lots of espresso and sit at the computer? :eek:
:D

Eh, double major in Computer Science and Audio Production/Engineering. So basically no matter what class I am in, I have my, or a lab, computer in front of me. Well except for my Theory IV and History of Western Music classes, but for those the internet on my Android comes in very handy ;)

Eh, double major in Computer Science and Audio Production/Engineering. So basically no matter what class I am in, I have my, or a lab, computer in front of me. Well except for my Theory IV and History of Western Music classes, but for those the internet on my Android comes in very handy ;)

Which university do you attend?

Which university do you attend?

Good curriculum? What do you play?

It's a decent curriculum. The school is HUGE on jazz, which isn't really my pot of tea, but the studio classes are decent. It's not as prestigious as say IPR or Full Sail, but I'm learning what I need to and the rest I get from self study, the forum, and books that everyone suggests. They have a decent PT HD studio with a large tracking room, decent control room. A nice listening lab with PT LE and Axiom midi controllers. You have to take 3 years of Music theory, 3 semesters of music history, have to be in lessons and an ensemble, They have multiple levels of studio classes, live sound classes and so on. You work closely with all the music departments and record all the concerts and what not. Last semester we brought in Quietdrive for a concert and it's all student run.

I did the hole double major thing becuase I mainly want to open my own studio and figured having a relatable degree (in computers) would get me a job with a steady influx of money so I can steadily build my own studio here. Ideally I would like to be self suffient on my studio. I'd like to get into advertising for radio or even more so, audio for film or Video Games.

But if I can find a studio job, right out of college, I probably would take it without complaint ;)

I play guitar, bass, piano (required to take 2 years of piano) and sing. I can hold a beat on drums but until I get my own set, I will not call myself a drummer ;)

Last edited:
Where did you start out?
It was kind of gradual but there was no internet when I started. So I read interviews, biographies, autobiographies and watched TV programmes and took note of any little thing that seemed like it might be useful. Alot came in through osmosis. Then I bought a 4 track cassette portastudio {a Fostex X15} and read the manual and followed what I could understand and experimented. My recordings were hopeless because 4 tracks wasn't enough. So I did about 5 months thinking and research and looked around at the music equipment shops, both new and second hand. They had shops in those days {'92}. I talked to condescending shop assisstants and helpful ones too. And I decided to upgrade to an 8 track portastudio that November. I was advised not to but I did anyway and 18 years on I still use it, though I'm phasing it out. I just have a load of not well recorded songs that I love dearly to mix and some to remix then I'll sell it probably. In the meantime, I've moved to a 12 track DAW[that's a digital audio workstation] and I think it's grand and it does the job just fine. One thing that was a constant for at least 13 years before I ever started recording was reading, as I mentioned before. I love reading. I'm aware not everyone does. And since I got active here, my knowledge and capacity to be challenged and challenge myself has grown. It would have anyway, but it so happens that a huge variety of people (probably none that would even be aware of this) on these boards have been a major catalyst for me. That's why tolerating alot of the negative aspects is useful, because among the leopard shit are diamonds of great value.

If you were to jump straight into a more groomed recording book like Modern Recording Techniques by David Miles Huber, you might find some of the termonolgy, well as you said it "like a different language".
I bought that book 10 years ago. It may as well have been in Portuguese because it was so hard to understand. I did learn, however, that decoupling a drumkit on a riser might help with tremors on ceilings below. And don't build a project studio next to train tracks or the underground subway unless you got tons of money........

Would that include all the 'lol's too ?
In England, Lol is short for Lawrence......{as in Lol Creme}

To the OP, another tremendous book when you are starting out is Guerrilla Home Recording by Karl Coryat.
I second the motion !

The Quote of the month for me, if there was a vote.
Yeah, some of us don't know when to draw in the reigns but by and large, the comic relief makes for a much more interesting read. We are after all, hopelessly human....

Ok. A huge thank you to everyone who took me seriously. Home Recording for dummies, here I come! You guys are pre cool!

Pre-cool? You mean almost cold and dead?: You got that right. "I'm just restin'- pinin' for the fjords! Well comocks, my best single piece of advice for you as a beginner is- exercise your ears. You are going to have to learn to hear everything a new way. That's why monitors are so important. They can help you to learn. Don't get hung up with effects and loops and EQ, etc. Just learn how to select the right mics and put them in the right place so you can make an honest recording of any sound within reason (artillery is a challenge). Bird songs, engines. speech, music, zydeco Jewish fusion rap, whatever. Then- mess with the sound, if you want to. If you can't make an honest bone dry recording of a source, EQ won't help- yet. Be concerned with the front end of the signal chain- rooms and mics and instrument(alists). Good luck-Richie

OP.... you should check out the guerilla home recording book for starters. I know not everyone prob like the book but could be just what you need to get going.

GL

Ha, thanks Richie. Being the total n00b I am, you just made me realize what monitors are actually used for (derp). And thank you for those pearls of wisdom, for if you hadn't said them, I probably would have ended up adjusting EQs until I was thick up to my neck in them and totally frustrated, rather than actually recording. Maybe in the future you could give me tips on recording chainsaws.

@steeltropics, what is the guerilla recording book about?

Chainsaws. I see you have a masochistic streak in you. It will serve you well in home recording.. I'm serious about the artillery, both in the Medieval recreation group I belong to, but also for the 1812 Overture. Compared to the Medieval guys, the symphony's cannons were pussies. Well it's true. Too many beginning recorders try to twist dials to make things that suck sound good, without really learning how to make it not suck in the first place. The most common BS of a bad tracking engineer- "We'll fix it in the mix". First, learn to be a tracking engineer, then a mixing engineer, then a mastering engineer, not the other way around.-Richie

Hey Comcocks.....The Guerilla HR book is about getting great sounds in a home rec setting with or without having to use really expensive gear etc. I prefer "without" expensive gear as most prob do. If you do eventually get it at some point try and get the most up to date version of the book. The forums here are going to be a great source for learning as well

Gl

Back