Ableton wth Tracking Audio and Playback

royjazz

Hi everyone.

I was using Logic Pro but want to change over. Logic has some funky behavior with audio (as opposed to midi where it's stronger from my expereience) Playback with more than a certain amount of audio tracks, and certain tracks don't play back, tracking audio once there is a decent amount of audio tracks is tricky,
and btw if there are Logic users that haven't experienced this that's fine too, but no need to write :-)

How is people's experience with audio tracking in ableton.. are there interfaces it tends to work well with? people have any problems? are there problems with audio known to be universal as opposed to just based on interface , ram etc?

As an addendum, it seems in terms of sound design that some of the filters in ableton sound absolutely incredddible.

Why are people switching over in terms of sound design?

Hello royjazz.......have you actually tried a different DAW with your PC? I'm assuming you've become familiar with Ableton via someone who uses it? The issue you describe with Logic Pro seems highly unusual. Although it's not likely......the culprit could be your PC. What are the specs of your computer?

Not to try to dissuade you from making a switch......but perhaps we can help you make what you have work for you. Why change if you don't need to? As an option however.......REAPER is free to download and use if you want to give a full featured DAW a try. Many of use here...including myself....use it. What kind of projects do you work on? Tell us more about what you do and the equipment you have. And...welcome to the forum!!

I use Ableton and while I like it, I am not sure as stated above that is your problem.

Most DAWs will call out the ASIO driver, which is just using the drivers API to move audio in and out of the interface. While going to Ableton for different reasons, I.E. for live performance, different approach, etc. I do not think it will cure your audio issues. Maybe your workflow and creativity, but I do not think audio.

For a cheaper alternative, try using something like Reaper (free trail) and select the ASIO interface and see what issues you have. I know it is kind of a pain in the a$$, but at least you will know if it is the software or the interface.

I would also warn you, Ableton lite is not worth loading. It is way too crippled. Only way to go is the suite and that is not cheap. I also suggest you give Bitwig a look, I have heard good things about that software (Ex. Ableton folks).

Thanks so much Mickster for all the info... I'm on a mac, i just know from doing sessions at good places that I never see issues like with pro tools with the audio.. and while it's hard to believe, when i went on the logic forum they said (some people) that it is known to be a weakness of logic and a limitation.. too many audio tracks and it acts funny. plus the audio engine itself just in terms of when you do a bounce, the pro tools engine is beautiful and renders a slightly different result and also sounds different within the daw itself...

hi dm60... yea i think it's a problem with appple's "core audio" as well.. that's 1 of the reasons i wanna switch over to a pc.. though i do wanna do some more "snooping" on various daw forums to see if some of my problems are experienced by other people..and what their hardware/system is..
i know it's kind of a complex topic and that daws are very complex sws...tho

Back