Ableton Live 10 trial - NEWBIE ALERT!

Beccawright85

Hello, I've just started using Ableton Live 10 Trial; Are there certain features that are blocked on the trial version?
I want to edit individual notes from a MIDI clip, but when I googled it none of the suggested methods worked.
Surely a trial version should have all of the features enabled so you can decide if it's worth buying or not?! ...Thanks for any advice!

Hello, I've just started using Ableton Live 10 Trial; Are there certain features that are blocked on the trial version?
I want to edit individual notes from a MIDI clip, but when I googled it none of the suggested methods worked.
Surely a trial version should have all of the features enabled so you can decide if it's worth buying or not?! ...Thanks for any advice!

Cannot say about Abe but I CAN tell you that the demo of Samplitude Pro X 4(5?) is totally complete and the MIDI implementation is PDG.

Cubase is of course reckoned THE dog's danglers for MIDI and I am pretty sure their demos are unrestricted.

If you want a little MIDI app to have fun with download the trial of Modartt's Pianoteq.

Dave.

Cannot say about Abe but I CAN tell you that the demo of Samplitude Pro X 4(5?) is totally complete and the MIDI implementation is PDG.

Cubase is of course reckoned THE dog's danglers for MIDI and I am pretty sure their demos are unrestricted.

If you want a little MIDI app to have fun with download the trial of Modartt's Pianoteq.

Dave.

Thanks Dave! I basically want a program that's good for recording audio into as well as use a MIDI controller - I really just want a program that allows me to create 'composed' music to a decent quality, as opposed to EDM, so I'm not particularly interested in all the crazy samples and tricks... I am also terrible with computers so need something user-friendly. I'm up for spending time learning as I go, but I found Cubase impossible to make a start on without having any prior knowledge. Would you be able to recommend a particular program? Thank you!

Thanks Dave! I basically want a program that's good for recording audio into as well as use a MIDI controller - I really just want a program that allows me to create 'composed' music to a decent quality, as opposed to EDM, so I'm not particularly interested in all the crazy samples and tricks... I am also terrible with computers so need something user-friendly. I'm up for spending time learning as I go, but I found Cubase impossible to make a start on without having any prior knowledge. Would you be able to recommend a particular program? Thank you!

Yeah, Cubase is tough. To me they just do things differently just to be 'king awkward! My son used Essential 6 some years ago but I have not fired it up more than twice since he buggered off to France.

Samplitude or one of the 'lesser' MAGIX products will do what you need which, if I understand you aright that is to make 'linear' recordings as you would with a tape machine and shunt clips of music around to build songs?

The very bad news is that there is no such thing as a user friendly DAW. They all take considerable dedication to learn and will forever throw wobblies at you that you don't understand. Being "good with computers" is no real advantage either. I worked with a factory full of IT graduates but they could not help me with music programs one bit!

I am used to Samplitude (in a very basic way) but others here will suggest their pet DAW. Many will suggest Reaper and so shall I. It is very well specified, has a very low hit on your PCs power and is cheap when you decide to buy it and you get constant upgrades forever...But! It STILL ain't easy!

So, spend maybe a weekend looking at the various DAW trials and maybe one with 'click' better than the others. If so stick with it but I cannot promise you anything other than sweat and curses!

Dave.

Thanks for the advice, very helpful.
The original problem has magically righted itself (just randomly after 2 hours!) but I will definitely have a look at some trials of other programs.
And yes I'm prepared to need a lot of patience... if I don't learn a program during lockdown I never will!
Cheers again :)

I have the 9 suite version. The trail version is pretty crippeled and the full suite pretty expensive. I think if you are going to do live work, it is an awesome program. If you are mainly going to record and mix, while it is very good at that, you would be paying for features you won't be using, like the grid, scenes and how all of its functions that supports live work.

If just recording, almost all if not all DAWs use MIDI for synths and controllers. So I would focus on recording and maybe find one with good plug ins.

As always, Reaper is our go to recommendation.

Hey thanks for you input, I definitely want to use the MIDI controller for a lot of the work, in addition to recording audio. I've heard that Reaper isn't so good for this?

Hey thanks for you input, I definitely want to use the MIDI controller for a lot of the work, in addition to recording audio. I've heard that Reaper isn't so good for this?

My knowledge in this area is limited and dated but I have read that some controllers work better with some DAWs than others. TBH although I have bought Reaper I have never investigated its MIDI capabilities? I do recall that if your controller uses say "Mackie Control" you need that in the DAW. I fell foul of this years ago when I bought a 'Tranzport' wireless controller and the basic Cubase version I had would not work with it.

This is of course one of the advantages of the free trials.

Dave.

My knowledge in this area is limited and dated but I have read that some controllers work better with some DAWs than others. TBH although I have bought Reaper I have never investigated its MIDI capabilities? I do recall that if your controller uses say "Mackie Control" you need that in the DAW. I fell foul of this years ago when I bought a 'Tranzport' wireless controller and the basic Cubase version I had would not work with it.

This is of course one of the advantages of the free trials.

Dave.

I think Mackie Control is the standard. I have seen this as a selection in Reaper and Ableton.

Hi,
I have had Cubase. Crossed over to Cakewalk Sonar from 8 to present iteration which is now free. It's called "Cakewalk by Bandlab". Excellent but comprehensive.
However, I am now using Mixcraft Pro Studio 9. Does everything including midi. Quite easy to learn and very cheap to purchase. I paid about $150 Australian.
They have a trial version which has no restrictions for a short period. Give it a try.

I think Mackie Control is the standard. I have seen this as a selection in Reaper and Ableton.

Yes DM..NOW it is pretty standard but some years ago I bent my card out of shape to buy the Tranzport and then found B'std Steinberg had not included Mackie Control in my version of Cubase! I had to fork out more ill gotten to buy Essentials Six!

Dave.

Back