4 Track Cassette Tape

Gavin

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie. Please forgive me for asking this question.

I recently got hold of an old Tascam 4 Track recorder. However it didn't come with a cassette tape.

My question: What type of tape do you use for 4 track recording? A regular cassette tape? A special 4 track tape? Where would I get one of these 4 track tapes and what are they actually called? Multi track tapes?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

A regular (high Bias) cassette tape will do my friend.
Cassettes are actually 4 tracks, 2 on side A and 2 on side B.

I believe it goes like this on a regular deck ....
side B left <---

What your deck does is this ......
track 4 --->

Thanks eyeslikefire,

Man do I feel stupid. I was looking all over the net for a specail multi track 4 track cassette tape.

And all I needed was a normal tape.

Many thanks for your help.

All the best,

I'd recommend TDK. The semi-expensive chrome or metal ones. The really expensive ones doens't sound that much better as I recall it.

TDK or Maxell high bias is fine. Do not use a tape that is longer than 90 minutes total time. The tape gets thinner the longer it is and will stretch over time and is more subject to print-through while it is being stored. TASCAM recommends a 60 minute tape, but 90 is acceptable.

Some people have custom lengths made of five to ten minutes or so and use a separate tape for every recording.

I've heard talk in the past of the TDK shedding more, but I had never experienced it.

What I have experienced with TDK is high frequency drop-out. Now I don't know if this is because of shedding I can't see because I clean my head stack religously, or something else wrong with the tape.

I switched to Maxell years ago and I've never had any problems.

The TDK formulation may be improved by now. This was years ago.

Another excellent tape I used to use a long time ago was marketed by TASCAM. It has since been disco'ed and I haven't seen any in years. I don't know who made it originally, but it was marketed for the four-track machines back in the '80's.

Do not use chrome tape in these machines. The bias frequency is not set-up for this formulation.

Thanks guys,

Unfortunately here in the Bahamas we don't have a great selection of products so I guess I will have to get what I can.

I will look for TDK or Maxwell.

The recording doesn't have to be perfect first time round. Later I will upgrade to digital when I get some money.

Thanks,
Gavin

Sennheiser said:
TDK or Maxell high bias is fine. ...Do not use chrome tape in these machines. The bias frequency is not set-up for this formulation.

I thought high bias and cr02 were the same thing...? Chrome, or more accurately chromium dioxide, and high bias are both referred to as "Type II" tape, which is what you want.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE METAL TAPE IN A PORTASTUDIO!!! This is also known as "Type IV" tape. It has metal particles imbedded in it, hence the name. Thus, not only is the bias not correct for a Tascam 4-track, these tapes are highly abrasive and will wear your heads down like sandpaper. Not good, I can assure you.

Bruce

All tapes have metal particles in them. It's these particles that give the tapes their magnetic properties.

SPINSTERWUN said:
Plus, you will need to de-magnetize your heads regularly....

This is one of the biggest myths going.

Everytime you record, you de-magnetize your tape heads. The general idea is a good one however, that being, keep your tape heads clean. Get yourself a tape head cleaning kit and use it regularly. And Gavin, going to digital isn't necessarily an upgrade. Learn how to use what you have before you start throwing money at it, you'll be glad you did. :)

Sorry, I meant metal. Tape that is labled METAL on the box.

You're right CrO2 is chrome. I had HUAS and wasn't thinking.

NYMorningstar said:

This is one of the biggest myths going.

Everytime you record, you de-magnetize your tape heads. The general idea is a good one however, that being, keep your tape heads clean. Get yourself a tape head cleaning kit and use it regularly. And Gavin, going to digital isn't necessarily an upgrade. Learn how to use what you have before you start throwing money at it, you'll be glad you did. :)

Morningstar,
Where did you get that info? Because as far as I've known for the past 20 years de-magnetizing is not a myth
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/audiofaq.htm#audthdm
http://www.dwelle.de/rtc/infotheque/magn_recording/magrec_07.html#k7p1
http://www.dwelle.de/rtc/infotheque/magn_recording/magrec_07.html#k7p4b

Hi Guys Thanks for the info,

Last night I recorded my first song on my 4 track. Came out pretty good. Only one problem...track 2 (mic) was muffelled. I guess maybe I need to clean the heads?

I will try this and also by a new tape. I was using an old tape.

eyeslikefire said:
....Because as far as I've known for the past 20 years de-magnetizing is not a myth....

Thank you for the co-signing of my check, eyeslikefire. ;)

Plus, giving the references.............. :cool:

Quick little question: How many here have actually had any problems with their 4-track porta that has been fixed by demagnetizing?

Me. Plenty of times.
Loss of high frequency is main culprit.
And not just on a 4-track, but on reel to reels, car tape decks and boom boxes.
System sounds like shit,... demagnetize,.... sounds great!

SPINSTERWUN said:

Thank you for the co-signing of my check, eyeslikefire. ;)

Plus, giving the references.............. :cool:

Sorry Spinster, didn't mean to steal your thunder.
Shit! I couldn't help myself on that one man, just had to answer.

Back