24 bit to 16 bit....Dithering?

TheNightman77

Hi All,

Should be a simple question to answer here: I have most of a song tracked at 16 bit using Digital Performer 6, however the vocalist wanted to track his parts at his house. He uses Pro Tools (10 or 11) and we recorded his vocals at 24 bit. When we are finished with tracking I intend to bounce the files individually and import them into my Digital Performer session. My question is, do I simply bounce all of the tracks individually at unity to 16 bit when working with Pro Tools, or do I need to dither them first? Since I track and mix in 16 bit this would be my first experience with dithering if I need to do so and I am not well read on the topic...is it as simple as putting a dithering plugin on the master fader track? I obviously will be doing processing and mixing the tracks once they are imported into my DP session.

Many thanks in advance for helping me out! Also I do intend to switch to 24 bit tracking once I'm finished with this EP as I now understand the benefits of doing so.

I import 16 and 24 bit into SonarX3 and the tracks all play fine. You can output to 16 bit and it should convert ok to 16.

You don't need to dither tracks in your mix. Only dither at the very end, immediately before truncating from 24 to 16 bit. But if you're exporting mixes at 16 bit you won't have to dither/truncate. I would probably export at 24 bit even though most of the tracks are 16 bit.

Back