1st post...main question: is a small 'mixer' considered a preamp?

3CNorth

Getting the band back together dude!!! Just kidding...I had a weekend without the wife and kids and played guitar till my fingers hurt...I'm not good but I enjoy it. I pulled out my old gig bag from when I was in a band 10 years ago or so and I have what I always called a 'mixing board'....I guess it's a mixer...maybe same thing. It's a Beheringer MX 602A. I never really knew how to use it. Someone else did sound.

I'm going thru the newbie posts and going to read many of the links...but just to get the ball rolling I have a few questions I hope you can answer:

1. Is this mixer considered a preamp?
2. Will I still need a soundcard if I have this device already?
3. Can I output from this mixer directly into my mic port on my computer? (I know I could just try it ...but I'm a little afraid to) -- if so, which output from the mixer would I send to my mic port?

Thank you in advance for your help and please bear with me as I start learning the ropes.

ER

MX602A.jpg

Most mixers have a pre amp built in yes you could go from the board direct to the mic input on the computer. it may not sound to great tho. For better results an interface is what you want.

1. Is this mixer considered a preamp?
Yes
2. Will I still need a soundcard if I have this device already?
No but it will sound much clearer if you get a USB Interface instead.
3. Can I output from this mixer directly into my mic port on my computer? (I know I could just try it ...but I'm a little afraid to) -- if so, which output from the mixer would I send to my mic port?
Yes but the level from the mixer will probably be too loud and you'll get distortion.

Try it at low volume and see if you can get a decent sound.

Questions answered...thank you very much.

THanks for the quick response...reading on tweakheadz has made it all come very clear...I will be looking for a soundcard now...

To clarify one point. A mixer is a mixer. It isn't a preamp. A preamp is a preamp. It isn't a mixer. Your mixer will have preamps built in though...

don't look for a soundcard - look for an interface.

And don't listen to Armistice hes crazy.

About preamps- generally, if a mixer has XLR inputs on one or more channels, it has preamps- they are accessable via the XLR inputs (like on channel 1 and 2 of your mixer.)

Your mixer contains preamps, on channel 1 +2 they are controlled by the "Gain" knob. They work for the mic or the line inputs. They are not high quality preamps, but will provide you enough signal from most mics. It would be better to connect to your line inputs on your computer using the main outs from the board. (laptop mic in is usually also a stereo line in). Your board also contains "Phantom" power to power any condenser microphones plugged into lines 1 or 2. Read your manual carefully and learn the audio signal path of your board. Your mixer is the beginnings of your home recording setup and will work adequately if you are careful with your signal levels. In this kind of setup noise is your greatest enemy. Obviously it is not very high quality, but can yield some decent results. You can then purchase a USB Audio interface which convert your analog signals to digital and can be edited with many different software programs. Some interfaces come with multiple high quality preamps, and their own software programs. The more money you spend, the higher the quality and more functions will be available.

Back